013

! chapter thirteen !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

"YOU DID EVERYTHING YOU could," Ron reassured as the four of them walked along the bridge. It was a bit chilly out for late March, and Haven had worn an extra jacket because of it. The fog definitely didn't help the cause either. She could barely see three feet in front of her. "No one could win against that old hag."

"Even Dumbledore didn't see this coming," Hermione pointed out.

"Yeah," Haven muttered, a little sadly. "If it's anyone's fault it's mine. I'm the one who convinced you guys Draco wasn't going to rat us out. But look where that got us."

"No," Hermione shook her head. "It's our fault."

"Yeah," Ron agreed. "We talked you into it."

"But the only reason we got caught is because of me," she mumbled, leaning against the railing as she stared at the scenery in front of her, even if it was mostly covered in a white mist. "God, I'm such an idiot."

"It's none of your faults," Harry finally said. "I'm the one who agreed to it. I've tried to make everything better, but I've just made things worse. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Because I don't want to play anymore. All it does is make you care too much. And the more you care, the more you have to lose."

Haven stared at him with wide eyes, before she suddenly poked his cheek. He swatted her away with annoyance, but she just did it again. After the third time, he gave up. "Has Snape possessed you?" She questioned.

"Psst," a voice rang out, cutting off Harry from answering. They looked over to see Hagrid hiding behind a corner. His head popped out from behind the wall, and he gestured for them to come closer. Sharing confused looks, the four of them slowly made their way over to him.

Hagrid led them to the Dark Forest, and Haven suppressed a shiver. The forest was dark and eerie as it always was. Quiet, but not too quiet to where the silence was overbearing. It was still possible to hear other creatures stirring around them. The tall trees loomed above them, their leaves making a sort of roof overhead. Haven stepped on a twig, and it snapped underneath her weight.

"Any idea where he's taking us?" Ron asked from behind them, and she glanced back, shooting him a small shrug.

"Hagrid, why can't you just tell us?" Harry demanded.

The sound of hooves beating against the forest floor began to echo throughout the woods, and Haven watched as a herd of centaurs ran by them, a gust of wind from their speed blowing a strand of hair into her face. She tucked it behind her ear so she could see.

"I've never the centaurs so riled up," Hagrid commented. "And they're dangerous at the best of times."

"It's because of the Ministry, isn't it?" Haven pondered. "They're taking away their land and this is how they're retaliating."