020

! chapter twenty !

! chapter twenty !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

"DID YOU HEAR ABOUT Carl Whitneck?" Malory asked at the Dining Hall the next morning as Haven slid onto the bench. She grabbed a biscuit from off one of the plates paced on the middle of the table, and took a bite from it, staring at the other girl with her brows pinched in confusion.

"Who?" Haven replied with a mouthful of food.

"Carl Whitneck," Malory repeated, slower that time, like she was talking to a toddler. "The guy who knocked you off your broom yesterday."

Still confused to where she was going with this, Haven pulled the biscuit out of her mouth to apply jelly onto it. She glanced up at the girl once more. "What about him?" Haven wondered, barely paying her any attention.

"He walked in here with blood dried on his face," Malory informed as Haven swallowed the last bit of her food. She suddenly pointed to one end of the Ravenclaw table, and Haven followed her arm. Her eyes landed on the same boy from yesterday, his face, in fact, dried with blood. "Nurse said his nose is broken, too."

At this, Haven choked on her juice. "Broken nose..." Haven echoed, trailing off as a thought popped into her head. She abruptly pushed herself up once she saw a familiar blonde boy walk out of the room, and she trailed after him, ignoring Malory's calls of confusion. "I can take care of myself, you know," her voice rang out through the empty hallway, and Draco turned around. He fidgeted with his tie nervously, and Haven suspected it wasn't because she was confronting him. She didn't decide to question him on it this time, however.

"No idea what you're talking about."

"Come on, Draco," Haven groaned, annoyed. "I'm not dumb. Broken nose, hello? That is totally your forte. You did it to my brother, remember?"

He sent her a small shrug. "Sorry, Haven. No idea what you're on about. Maybe you should go to the nurse, sounds to me you've got a concussion from that nasty fall yesterday." Draco began to briskly walk away once more, stopping once she said his name again.

"How do you know I fell?"

"Shit," she heard him whisper, and Haven felt a jolt of surprise go through her at his language. She'd never actually heard him swear before. Draco slowly turned around. "Everyone is talking about it."

"No one is talking about it."

"Fine," he huffed angrily. "I was at the Quidditch field yesterday. Not to watch you play, alright? I'm not pining after you because that's simply mental. I happened to be there when I saw that kid knock you off your broom, and I decided to punish him for it. He didn't play fair."

"Oh, because Draco Malfoy is all about playing fair," she commented sarcastically, and he scoffed. "Relax, I'm kidding."

"Whatever, are you done pestering me now? I have better ways to spend my time."