Chapter 4 : Dodgeball

Kevin's POV

I feel like I need twelve more hours of sleep as I'm sitting next to Heather, Lindsay, and  Beth along with the rest of my team eating breakfast. I was looking at the picture of my parents in my locket.

"Who that a picture of in your locket?" Heather asked me.

"Just my mom and dad that's all, " I quickly said not wanting to talk about them being dead.

Soon the door opens and Harold, with a sharpie mustache, walks in triumphantly as everyone around him giggles. As he sits down everyone laughs louder.

"Okay, what?!?" Harold asks. Geoff hands him a spoon and tells him about what's on his face, but Harold seems to like the mustache.

"Hey everyone, it's Gwen!" Chris announces as a tired Gwen walks in the room and the whole team cheers for her. Lindsay asks why everyone is clapping while clapping herself and Courtney scowls at as she sits down.

"I'm so tired. I can't even feel my face." Gwen immediately falls to the table, slamming her face onto it.

"So, let's go over the rules one more time," Heather said, making me focus my attention on her. "Number one, I am the captain of this alliance and Kevin is co-captain. But I get to make the rules. Number two--" Lindsay raises her hand like shes in school and Heather picks her to speak. "Breaking the rules can result in getting kicked out of the alliance?"

"Good!" Heather tells her. "Number three, I can borrow any of your stuff without asking, but my stuff is strictly off-limits." Lindsay's and Beth's cheerful expressions fade.

"I don't know about that last rule" Lindsay speaks up.

"That's okay! I can change it!" Their cheerful looks return. "I can also change who to take to the finals with me. Maybe I'll just take Kevin. Maybe he's the only other person here who has his head on straight." Lindsay and Beth frantically shake their heads no.

"Good. Wanna have some fun?" Heather gets up and starts to talk trash to the other team.

"Hey, Fishheads! Way to kick out your strongest player! Why don't you just give up now?" Courtney gets so mad she picks up some oatmeal and chucks it at Heather, but she dodges it and it hits Gwen instead.

"Missed me!" Heather says with a smile. She sits back down, giving you a high five. Chris then tells everyone that in ten minutes your next challenge will begin and be prepared to bring it.

**

We got to the area where the challenge was going to take place. The Bass were arguing about some condition Harold had but it was interrupted by Chef blowing his whistle. Chris then began to explain the challenge.

"Today's challenge is the classic game of dodge ball. The first rule of dodgeball is-"

"Do not talk about dodgeball." Noah interrupted.

"As I was saying if you get hit with the ball your out." Chris threw the ball at Courtney.

"Ow, you can't do that." She threw it back at Chris.

"If you catch the ball the thrower gets sent out and the catcher gets to bring another team member out on the court."

"Throwing balls, gee another mentally challenging test," Noah said with clear sarcasm.

"I know, right?" Lindsay smiled

"Alright, Geoff. Try to hit me." Chris threw the ball to Geoff.

"If you're holding a ball you can use it to deflect a ball, but if it knocks it out of your hand, your out."

"So, what do I do again when the ball comes at me?" Lindsay asked.