Chapter 37

Mark's pov:

Forth has been awfully quiet ever since he got back from the company.

He's been holed up in his room staring out the window blankly.

He won't tell me what's wrong no matter how many times i ask him.

He just smiles and shakes his head. But that smile only serves to increase my worry. It doesn't reach his eyes.

Ria looked irritated when i went to pick him up. She ignored me when i tried asking her what happened.

Forth was looking at her with a guilty expression.

I'm pacing back and forth in the living room trying to figure out what to do.

I can't call Beam since he has exams. So he would be studying now.

Fuck this shit! I've had enough!

I grabbed my phone and dialed Ria's number.

"Hello?" she answered after the third ring.

"The fuck happened in the company? He's been holed up in his room staring out the window blankly ever since he came back. He won't tell me what happened. And don't even try to ignore me." I hissed.

I could hear her heave a sigh.

"Mr. Liam came while we were in my office." she said.

I frowned. "And?"

I know him. He's a business associate of the company.

I don't like that guy. The way he looks at the woman and young boys in the company creeps me out.

"He offered his hand for a handshake but Forth didn't take it." she explained.

My frown deepened.

"What? But he never does that..." I mumbled.

"Now that i think about it was odd yes. And when i think back to his expression at that time he looked frightened. He flinched back when Mr. Liam extended his hand."

"Could he have something to do with his past?" I muttered under my breath.

"I should probably apologise to him. I scolded him without asking him why he didn't shake his hand."

"Seriously Ria?" I asked exasperated.

"I know. I got irritated when that guy came into my office just to greet me. I don't like how he looks at me. And i took it out on Forth without thinking."

"Haish. He's really sensitive about what other people say about him. Right now he's probably over thinking the whole situation."

There was silence on the other end for a few seconds.

"Dammit.... I seriously need to apologise to him." She muttered.

"Are you free tonight?" I asked.

"Yeah. I have a meeting in thirty minutes. I'm free after that."

"Come over for dinner. You can apologise to him then. Although i don't think he's mad at you." I sighed.

"How can he not be mad? I took my irritation out on him without a valid reason."

"He's really soft. He doesn't even get angry at someone who called him useless and worthless in their first meeting."

Another few seconds of silence.

"Where did you even find this rare gem of a kid? I mean not only his talent but even his personality.... He's like a child but an adult at the same time."