aware (emily's POV)

Elle's mad over a call I answered? An accident I made.

I wake up and I walk downstairs. I look around and it's silent.

"It's her day off. Where could she have possibly gone to? Does she not want to see the baby?"

I scoff and I eat breakfast and change before Kate gets here. As I put my shoes on I hear the doorbell. I open the doorbell. I open it and it's Kate Callahan.

"Hey, you ready?" She looks around me. "Where's Elle, is she not coming?"

"Let's just go." I say, closing and locking the door.

We get into the car and the radio is playing. Kate turns down the sound and begins to talk. "So you excited to see your baby?"

I mumble. "Yeah...yeah..."

Kate takes a quick glance at me, "Hey...EARTH TO EMILY..." I look at her as I realize she's talking to me.

"Sorry," I apologize. "It's just that I did something on accident last night and Elle was pissed off. And the fact that she's not coming with me to this appointment. She wanted to have a big part of this baby's life. And this is one of them. The first time we see the baby."

Giggles come out from Kate. "I'm sorry," she giggles some more. "It just seems like Elle's the pregnant one because she's overreacting." She suddenly stops. "Don't tell her I said that, but I'm sorry that happened. At least you can get a picture of the baby. And maybe when you make up, you can show her."

I nod. And in no time, we're at the hospital. I fill out papers and within 20 minutes, we're inside a room. Kate introduces me into her doctor, Dr. Bruni, and she tells me lift up my shirt so she can start the sonogram.

As Dr. Bruni looks at the screen, I look at Kate who's rubbing and admiring my belly. She seems to be around 16 weeks.

"Well Emily, you're about 7 weeks pregnant. And the baby looks healthy." Dr. Bruni says. She pauses and I suddenly hear a thumping noise. "This is your baby's heartbeat."

Kate walks up to me and rubs my shoulder. I begin to tear up.

"There's a real baby in there. This is happening."

Dr. Bruni looks over at me, "Would you like a picture of the baby and the heartbeat?"

I continue to sob. I really can't believe this is happening. I nod.

"I think that's a yes." Kate laughs. The doctor prints out the ultrasound. As she walks out of the room, I yell out thank you. Kate instructs me to clean off the jelly from my stomach. We walk out, Kate guiding me to the car as I stare at the pictures.

I don't even hear Kate talking to me, until she pushes me slightly. "Em, let's go eat lunch, I'm starving." She says. I nod while looking at the pictures.

We end up walking around for a while and we pick up food and head towards a park. Kate brings the food while I hold the drinks. We end up sitting at a park bench.

As Kate digs into the pasta, she looks over at me. I glance around the park. "Hey, are you gonna eat?"

I look up. "Yeah, I will." I continue to look around.

"What's wrong Em? Do you not like it here? We can go somewhere else," Kate adds.

I finally stop and I pick up my pasta. "I'm sorry, it's just that the last time I was sitting on a park bench. It was with my..." I gulp. "...ex."