a moment

It was a couple weeks before Athena's birthday, the week before Thanksgiving. Emily still hasn't planned anything and doesn't know what Athena wants till today. "Mommy, I'm okay with anything. I like surprises."

This lifted some weight off Emily's chest until Athena came back to her after a couple hours. "I want to go to the snow!"

Turns out, the new movie Meg showed her was the Princess Switch. Athena is absolutely in love with it.

Emily sighs as she gives the menu to the waiter. "Do I plan her a cold and snowy birthday party? I want everything to be perfect."

After their sleepover, they decided to have a ladies night out every week, to rewind. Alex tags along as she's on vacation. Interpol has interns working until the end of the year as a project, though she's still "on the job" if Walker ever calls.

"What if we rent out a big cabin? We go to the snow for the weekend and that's where we celebrate her birthday?" JJ offered. "We'll bring the kids."

"Oh my gosh, yes! I can make that happen, just give a day to do research," Penelope says.

Penelope stayed true to her word. The next day, she sends Emily a cabin she thinks is big enough for everyone. "6-7 rooms and a big balcony! There's a hot tub too!"

"And who will be paying for this?" Emily raises her eyebrow over the phone.

"I will, my friend actually owns the place," Rossi interrupts. "Think of this as my present to Athena to make up for 3 years of her Uncle Dave not being able to spoil her, although I will be getting her a present."

As early Friday afternoon arrives, everyone loads up into the car. Derek offers to put the rest of the things that couldn't fit in the family car, into his car.

Elle blushes. "My hero."

JJ decides to bring her own car, along with Will and Henry. And so does Kate, with Chris driving.

Before the weekend arrived, the adults took the liberty of buying everything. Penelope was in charge of buying supplies, Luke and Derek bought the food that was necessary for the weekend. Elle and Tara chose the booze for the adults and lots of snacks. JJ and Kate was in charge of little goodie bags for the 5 kids. And Alex and Emily went shopping for some snow gear and presents.

"Athena seems really excited, which means this is gonna be a long weekend full of fun," Em says, carrying the numerous bags of snow gear.

Alex nods. "I'm glad to be tagging along."

Finally figuring out the seating in both cars, they all get into the cars. In Derek's car, he's driving while Elle's in the passenger. Not being able to get away from her Chocolate Thunder, Garcia and Luke decide to stay in their car. In the other car, Tara's driving as for Alex who's in the passenger seat. In the back, Athena is in the middle, to her right is Spencer, and to her left is Emily. She gets a good view of the road in front of her which was Emily's intention. And she also gets to see the small tv above her head.

The drive was about 3 hours, it consists of taking naps, passing the snacks around, Spencer reading books and later leans his head on Athena's car seat so she can ruffle his hair. She does that as she's watching a movie.

About an hour and a half in, they stop by a gas station. They buy more snacks and use the bathroom but Emily decides to stay in the car with a sleeping Athena. She looks out the window and sees that there's snow already falling. She stops her urge to wake up Athena.