new life (emily's POV)

Deep breaths. Just take deep breaths.

My body hurts.

"You can't come in. She's going into surgery," a voice says.

"SHE'S ALL ALONE, I NEED TO BE THERE FOR HER!" another voice yells out.

I hear a sigh. "I'm sorry, I need to attend to her now."

I open my eyes slowly and I see a bright light. I wince. Something suddenly blocks the light.

"Hi. You're going into surgery," a voice says. I think it's a surgeon. "Go ahead."

I begin to fall asleep.

I begin to dream.

My baby. She's in my arms as I look over the balcony, watching the ocean as the waves collide. The sun is setting and I admire the fresh breeze and the tiny human in my arms.

I suddenly feel something digging into my back. I gasp as it goes in a little deeper.

"Follow my instructions or the baby gets it," the person demands.

I turn around and the person is in a mask. Other people are in the room with the same masks too. One takes the baby from my arms and walks out, touching her face.

"DON'T DO ANYTHING TO HER, I SWEAR,"  I yell out.

The masked individual chuckles. "How can you do anything if you're dead?"

They walk out of the room and a shot goes off.

"Push 1 of Epi," the Surgeon says. "She's gonna bleed out if we don't hurry up Karev."

"Robbins don't you think I know that? We need to get this baby out now, or they're both not going to make it!" Karev snaps back. "Get me an incubator because this baby is coming out soon."

"I'll work on Mom and you work on Baby," Robbins declares. Karev nods.

The baby's out and Karev rushes to the other side of the room. Wires are attached to her. "Come on girl, just give me a small cry."

He pumps her little heart. "Karev...tell me what's going on."

"GIVE ME A MINUTE," he says. "Come on, I know your mom can't live without you so just fight."

A rhythm appears on the screen. "We got a rhythm but not a cry. Bring her to the NICU," Karev says to a nurse.

Karev walks over to Robbins and helps her. "We're supposed to be here for a stupid presentation, not actual surgery."

"Alex, just shut up. We're surgeons to save lives. And we're going to save two today," Robbins says.

Silence occurs except for a beep from the monitor. "She's stable for now but we got to stop this bleeding."

Over the next couple hours, I'm still in surgery. The team's in the waiting room.

"We should've waited. I knew this was going to happen," Elle says, pacing around the room.

Luke walks up to her and touches her shoulder. She pushes away. "Look, it was bound to come out some day. It just turns out today was the day."

"Luke's right. We can't predict the future Elle," Kate says.

Elle begins to breathe really fast, making everyone look at her. "I need air."

She runs outside and throws up in a bush. Someone holds up her hair. "Let it out."

Wiping her mouth, she looks up to see it's Alex Blake. They sit on the wet curb, watching as the cars go by.

"I can't lose her or the baby. Sh** I made a mistake and my mistake is gonna cost her, her life," Elle explains. "I needed money after all the traveling, I needed to get away from here. I'm still afraid to be here."