one

"Hello! How are you today?" I said, greeting the person at check out, scanning their items and food, pushing them to the end while the bagger bags the items after I scan them. The person answers and pays.

Next person after next, comes into my line and I do the same thing, waiting for my shift to end. I wave the next person in line over to me and start with my normal greeting as well as "do you have rewards?" It's required to ask for rewards, even though it's annoying as all hell.

When the man spoke to say no about the rewards, his voice sounded familiar like I had heard it before. Alas, I couldn't pinpoint where from. I ignored it, doing my best to make as little eye contact as possible to prevent any sort of conversation between us.

"Are you doing anything interesting this weekend?" He asks, watching me scan his items one by one.

"Not really, probably playing some games or watching a movie on Netflix. Do you have any plans?" I look up at him, almost losing my focus. Green eyes, wavy short blonde hair, pretty tall. I was taken aback by how gorgeous he looked. He looked a little nervous and I shook my head without him seeing, returning my focus to finish checking him out. Not the checking him out by looking at him kind, the kind that lets him know his grand total on the amount of money he spent and all that jazz.

"Games with friends most likely." He waits patiently. I told him the receipt business and the card swipe stuff.

"Games with friends are always enjoyable. I play solo games mostly 'cause none of my friends online or irl play." I smile, giving him the receipt and he waves and smiles. He pushes his cart away and I wipe down the belt and station after turning off the light on my number and putting the "closed, next lane" sign down before someone goes there thinking it's open. Thank god that man was the last one before my shift ended.

The bagging person, Marc, goes to the break room with me. Marc is a "good" friend, meaning, we only chat with each other at work. We're not ones to hang out with each other as he's busy with his dating life and I'm busy with my second job. We've both expressed how we weren't each other's type in the beginning of the friendship and that he's still figuring out his sexuality. He was bisexual when i met him, but he's lately been telling me how he's more mlm (men loving men). "You got distracted for a second there, you know him?"

I didn't answer because I didn't know. He sounded familiar, way too familiar but I can't pinpoint it. Maybe I heard his voice in a show or movie.

"...Or you like him? He's very cute, but looks straight."

"That's rude-"

"I mean, I wouldn't flirt with him because he looks like he wouldn't be interested in me. That's all (Y/n)." Marc proceeds to say, as I'm packing up my belongings to end my day here.

"I do think he's cute, but I don't know about liking him. I don't know him. His voice is familiar, very familiar, too familiar almost. Like I heard him somewhere." I say, sighing.

"Maybe y'all went to school together?" He walks along with me, taking the cart job.

"No, that can't be it, because I never went to school with him, he doesn't look like anyone from school." I tell him, unlocking my car and putting my stuff in the backseat.

"Then maybe he's someone from online, like one of those YouTube people." He said, taking the carts out of the metal thing I parked next to. "Anyways, I'll text you when I'm off work. Text me when you get home safely. I know it's only like a 20 minute drive, but yeah." Even though we're not really friends outside of work, we have each other as emergency numbers. We, at least, like to text each other when we're home safe. It gives a sense of security, especially since I'm a girl.

"Ok. I will." I jump in the driver's seat and start my way home. I live alone in a small apartment, work part time at two jobs because the grocery doesn't pay enough for my little apartment and internet. I work at a bakery on weekends, usually taking phone and online orders and running the social media accounts because all the bakers are a lot older and do not care very much to do the online business part of the shop. I took up that role.

The bakery pays me more than enough to manage such a small task and I honestly could quit the store job, but I would feel bad leaving Marc alone even though he's been working there longer than me and has better relationships with all the other people working there. If I told Marc that I was quitting the store for the bakery, I'm sure he would be happy for me, but I would feel bad.

+++

I took a deep breath and looked at myself in the mirror. The bakery's uniform is a little wrinkled from laying around on the ground after a wash, but at this point, I don't care. Right after this, I've decided that I will call Marc and tell him that I put in my two weeks notice at the store and that I'm going to be working full-time at the bakery. Not that it's a big decision, but it is. Plus, I can be here when the owners aren't or can't be here. It's not like Marc and I are super close anyways. We were just coworkers.

I left the bathroom and went into the back to grab a couple cleaning supplies to clean the counters. The bell in the corner of the door rings. "I'll be there in a minute!" I shout, wiping away any crumbs or any mess that may be visible, then put it out of view and rush to the front of the store where the register is.

"Hello! Welcome to Wonderland Bakery, how may I help you?" I smiled, my eyes closed the entire time. I opened them and looked up. The guy from the grocery store. "Oh, it's you again." I blurted, eyes widened with regret. I wish I could take that back.

"Oh, hey. How are you? You work here too?" He looked surprised, but softened this features.

"I'm good, won't be working at the grocery store job anymore though." I said. "I enjoy this job a lot more, personally. Not much of a baker, but I run the social media accounts and that's the category I'm strongest in. Also the cash register, haha."

"That's cool." He said, moving on to the main reason why he's here. "I ordered a cake a little over a week ago and was wondering if it was finished. The cake has a 'happy birthday bitch' written on it, it's for my little sister."

"Haha, iconic honestly. I'll go check the back and see if we have it." I walked calmly to the back then when I was out of sight, I panicked. That voice sounds so familiar and I have no idea where I heard it or who the voice belongs to. The face and the voice don't match. He's HOTTER than I thought he would be.

I grabbed the cake that seemed like his (I looked, I promise), and brought it out to the front. I opened the box to reveal that cake and said, "This seemed to be the only one that said this." I giggled slightly, sorta forcing it to hide the panic in my voice.

"This is perfect!" He smiled and grabbed the box that I closed and packaged up.

I relay the price to him, he speaks up. "Hey, can you just round that up?"

"Sure. Any particular reason?" I press the buttons and tell him the new price.

"I'm having a good day? And you guys did really good on this cake. I'll have to come back." He smiled and winked, paying. He glanced at my name tag. "(Y/n). Name's pretty." He mumbled before grabbing his cake and walking out with a wave.

"Thanks." I whispered to myself with a crimson covered face. Then it hit me. That voice. It's Dream's. The minecraft youtuber that gained a crazy amount of subscribers really fast for speedruns, coded games, and minecraft manhunts. I ran to the back just to freak out at my realization. I can't tell anyone, but I can tell someone who I know would never tell anyone.