three

It's been a few days since the call I had with my friend, and a while since I saw the man (who I will identify as "Maybe Dream"). I haven't told anyone else about "Maybe Dream", even my parents. I just can't. Well, no. It's not because I can't. It's because of the possibility that it is Dream and I don't want to hurt his privacy.

On another note, there were quite a few people here at the bakery, enjoying the smells of the food baking, reading or scrolling through their phones, and sitting in the various chairs and tables scattered throughout the room. "Hello, what would you like today?" I smiled, waiting for the couple to order. The door opened and this "Maybe Dream" man popped in, looking around before noticing that I was looking at him. I looked away and decided to do my job, ignoring the fact that I was staring right at him a second ago, embarrassed that he knew that.

I took their order, told them the price, and they paid, going to sit down to wait for their order. The "Maybe Dream" man walks up, since he was 2nd in line. I took a couple deep breaths, in and out. "The cake was really good the other day." He said, looking at the food display in the case.

"That's good. We did our best." I say. "What would you like to order sir?"

"Sir? Yuck. Just call me Clay."

I looked away even though he was still distracted by the food decision and widened my eyes, almost coughing from the sound of his voice matching the way he said "Clay". I composed myself while he was looking at the menu, and was done when he was ready to order.

He ordered, paid, and went to take a seat, scrolling through his phone. I go to the back where the couple are baking away. They handed me a couple plates of the people that ordered food. I went up front and handed them their food, making my way over past Clay to another table, giving them their food as well. I filled their water and went back to the back near the couple baking.

I was waiting for Clay's food. "Do you know that young man? The one that told his name to you?" The older lady asked.

"I don't." I lied. "He came and picked up that one cake, the 'Happy Birthday B-word' one."

"Oh the happy birthday cuss word?" The older man asked.

"Yeah. But I ran into him at the store I used to work at so.." I trailed off and they gave me his plate as well as an extra, for me I'm guessing.

"Go ahead and take your first break. I need a little bit of time away from the ovens so I will cover the cash register." The older lady said and shooed me towards the front.

I went over and handed Clay his plate and he said "Thank you". I looked around but all chairs, seats, and tables were taken. Sighing in defeat, I spoke up. "Can I sit here?"

He looked up and looked around to see the same thing. I doubt he was gonna say no in the first place. "Of course." So I pull the chair out and sit down, eating and scrolling through my phone, deciding to text my friend about the name of "Maybe Dream".

+++

The bakery became more empty, but he was still sitting there, scrolling through his phone. I went back to work, about 30 minutes after I finished eating. He didn't make conversation with me so no, we didn't talk. I noticed he would glance at me every now and then, but not for long.

It wasn't uncomfortable either, the glances or sitting near him. He didn't make me uncomfortable, or at least it didn't feel like it. I would expect much from "Maybe Dream". "Maybe Dream" wouldn't hurt a soul or try to make a soul uncomfortable.

+++

It was about closing time, and the man (Maybe Dream) stuck around all day. I'm not sure why, but he did. I was cleaning up, wiping down empty tables (basically every table except his), sweeping the floor and mopping parts of the floor that I could. Then the time came where I had to kick him out. I mustered up courage to walk over to his table. "Dr-" My eyes widened but I quickly fixed my words, "Hey, Clay, we're closing up and unfortunately, I'm going to have to kick you out of the bakery." He seemed to look up from his phone.

"Thank you for allowing me to sit around all day by the way, this place is nice and calming and I was able to get some work done." He smiled, packing up his charger and putting on his jacket.

"That's good." I responded, waiting for him to just leave so I can jump out of a 5 story building for almost saying 'Dream' instead of 'Clay'. "That you got some work done here, that is."

"Yeah, my place can be a bit distracting." He chuckled and looked away, getting up and pushing his chair in. "I'll see you around (Y/n)." He smirked slightly and winked, walking out of the shop. I locked the door behind him and turned the open signs off. I let out a breath I did not know I was holding.

"WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING? DREAM? I CAN'T JUST SAY THAT!" I scolded myself, finishing up the cleaning of the tables and floors, turning off the lights in the front, and headed to the back to clean up and put away the food and sweets.

I turned the main lights off and closed up, leaving out the backdoor and jumping in the car. I hit my head on the steering wheel, feeling dumb again. "He smirked and winked at me before he left too." I mumbled, feeling my entire body heat up. Pushing everything aside, I turned my car on and headed home.