Twenty one - Thalia

Draco hadn't been seen anywhere since the night I left him in that room. Harry had promised to go looking for him but that was days ago and I still hadn't heard anything. I'd been attending class and my uncle knew what was going on but he assured me that Draco was fine and not to worry.

But I was worrying. A lot. I hadn't eaten in a few days and I was starting to feel tired all the time. When I ate I felt sick. Like I had left him there to be hurt. I attended classes quietly, Blaise told all the teachers that he came down with some sort of bug to keep him out of trouble.

I slept for as long as possible in the morning. I got dressed with about ten minutes left before class and I made my way there slowly. I sat in my seat and stared at the empty spot beside me like I had done for the last two weeks. After my week of detention I didn't dare say a word to professor Umbridge. I just sat quietly.

I was doodling on my parchment about halfway through class when someone rushed in. I let my head go up slowly and my heart stopped. There was Draco Malfoy. Showered, dressed, looking like he always did. He waved to a few other Slytherins before walking over to our table and taking a seat next to me.

He didn't say hello like he usually did. He didn't even look at me. He just sat and began taking notes, also something he never does. I kept looking him through my hair. He looked perfect. I suddenly felt extremely stupid for leaving him the other night.

~

Draco continued to ignore me for the next couple weeks. I didn't bother trying to speak to him, after all, this is what I had wanted.

"Today you'll be working in partners to brew your draught of peace. I expect perfection." Snape announced one afternoon in our class. I looked across the room at Draco nervously. He was looking down at the floor. I sighed and started grabbing ingredients. When I turned back towards the table draco was there setting up the cauldron. "Hi." I said with a smile. I was excited to talk to him again.

"You have all the ingredients then?" He asked in a harsh voice. After I didn't reply he looked at me expectantly. I nodded. He was really really pissed off. He successfully avoided conversation with me for the rest of the class. Doing the whole potion himself.

I angrily made my way out of potions and towards the great hall to speak with Harry. He was sitting in his usually spot. I made my way over to him quickly. "Draco still won't talk to me." I complained. Harry gave me a look and laughed. "What? It's not funny. We were partners in potions today and he wanted to ignore me so badly that he did all the work himself."

"So you failed. That's nice." Harry laughed. "Snape actually said it perfect." I replied grabbing an apple off of Ron's plate. "Have you tried talking to him?" Harry asked. "Well no I-."

"Did you guys hear?!" Ron suddenly yelled returning to his spot at the table. "Professor Dumbledore convinced professor Umbridge to let each year go in front of the mirror of erised!" He said excitedly. "What's that?" I asked. "It's a mirror that shows your deepest desire." Harry replied. I nodded. "Me and Ron ran into it during our first year."

"That's probably the closest to practicing we'll get this year." I pointed out. I looked up from the table to see Draco looking at me, he had a sad look on his eyes. I was tempted to wave or smile at him but I didn't. We just looked at each other for a few moments before he turned away.

I got up and left once the boys started talking about quidditch. As I was making my way out of the great hall I walked passed someone I thought I recognized in one of the corridors. I took a few steps back to see Draco standing there, kissing Pansy Parkinson. I stopped and stared at them for a few moments. My heart sunk. Pansy opened her eyes when Draco moved down to start kissing her neck. She looked directly at me and whispered something in Draco's ear. He turned around and looked at me so I ran away.

Once I finally made it to the dorm I began to cry. He didn't stop talking to me because he was mad at me. He stopped talking to me because he was back with Pansy.

~

My eyes were all puffed up the next morning and my lips were swollen. I looked absolutely horrible. I was tempted to skip class but the mirror of erised was to exciting to miss so I forced myself to leave the dorm and head to dark arts.

I kept my head down as I walked, if anyone saw my face at all they would know I had been crying all night. I entered the class just in time and took my seat next to Draco. "Alright now, I'm sure you've all heard, today we are working with the mirror of erised. So allow me to prepare and we will get started." Umbridge announced.

I kept my head down staring at my shoes. When Draco said my name and I couldn't stop myself from looking up at him. "Wow, have you been crying?" He asked in a worried voice. "What? No I'm perfectly fine."

"Listen, Thalia, if this is about what you saw yesterday I-." He tried to explain but was cut off by Umbridge asking us to line up. "I don't want to hear it Malfoy. You two deserve each other." I snapped.

We both made our way to the line Slowly, Draco was in front of me. I listened to students walk up to the mirror and tell us what they saw. Most of them spoke of future jobs, some spoke of relationships or crushes. When it was Draco's turn Umbridge handed him a cup. "Veritaserum. Small sip young man." She demanded. I watched Draco drink from the cup before handing it back to Umbridge. He then turned and looked into the mirror. I watched the look on his face for quite a while.

"And what do you see mr. Malfoy." Umbridge asked. "Absolutely nothing. Just myself. Like a normal mirror." He said as he walked away. I felt like crying again. Even with a truth potion, he didn't want me. "Your turn Mrs Thalia."