Chapter Thirty Six

Iliana's POV

A nightmare.

That's all I could think once I got the phone call.

This has to be a nightmare.

Yes.

That's it.

I'll wake up and this whole thing will be over. I'll wake up in bed and in Kai's arms.

"Iliana."

I was brought back from my haze by my father-in-law.

"She's in surgery." I said - not recognizing my own voice.

I turned around to come face to face with him. What I found was something I never I would see. The coldest and stoic man I've met - with red eyes full of unshed tears and worrying all over his face. His suit disheveled opposite of it's usual tidness.

"How long?"

"I've lost count." I couldn't even manage to do that - it's like I'm on trance that I can't get out of ever since I got that call. Maybe shock? I'm not sure. I'm not even sure how I got to the hospital it all seems like a blur when I try to remember.

I didn't call him, I don't know who did. He probably was one of the Kai emergency numbers to call to other than me.

He took way too long to come to the hospital, that I know.

"The doctors haven't said anything?"

"No."

Henrik simply nodded and didn't ask me anymore questions. "Your friends are on the waiting room." That's all he said before walking away and leaving me alone.

I've been standing on this hallway ever since I came hours ago and I haven't willed myself to go anywhere else - but I have to. I have to face the rest.

Glancing one last time at the door on the end of the hall - I made my way to the waiting room. When I got there I saw Henrik with a crying Juliet on his arms. I saw April comforting Alex on another corner and my mother talking over the phone far from where we are.

Then there was me.

Just me.

"Iliana." My name was called for the second time this hour - I then was faced with Emma who surprised me by engulfing me in a hug. The surprise being she was here more than the hug.

After our rough start that day on the beach you could say we've become friends. At first I did it for Kai then it was natural to be nice to her and just like that we became friends.

When she said my name April and Alex acknowledged my presence in the room and approached me.

"How is she?" Emma asked with tears streaming down her face.

"I don't know."

The answer was simple now - it felt automatic and I hated it.

April was the next person to hug me and despite her warm and attempt of comfort I couldn't help but feel cold and empty.

"What happened." Alex said for the first time.

I just looked at her - like the rest her face was a tear mess but instead was sporting a glare. She was angry, sad and angry. She also looked a bit confused as she inspected my face like I did her's. Probably wondering why I wasn't sobbing and bawling my eyes out - honestly I don't know why I'm not because all I want to do is lay on the floor and cry my heart out but for some reason I couldn't do it - I was stuck and I hate it.

"She was crossing a green light when a van came out of nowhere jumped their red light. They crashed with her car, both cars were totally destroyed. Apparently the other driver was drunk." I repeated what I had been told hours earlier.