Is she dead?

Days had passed, and I was finally getting the hang of being a vampire, although it was hard not to enter my sibling's thoughts. They were almost thinking, and now I saw what Silas meant. None of them knew how to think quietly. They were always loud, which seemed like they were screaming their thoughts throughout their heads.

It didn't help that they always thought about crazy shit. If not that, Marcus's mind was always on sex and ways he could fuck someone. Whenever he saw one of the female vamps, he thought of how he could bed them. Silas crazy ass thought it was funny. On the other hand, Celeste and another vamp named Kiera did not, mainly because they were the ones he was targeting.

I couldn't deny both women were beautiful, but Celeste just made people want to kill her with the smart-ass mouth she had. Something that led me to believe that she may have needed some dick. Kiera was quiet and kept to herself mostly, and after almost a year in the home with them, I found out she was the children's nanny.

However, Kenny's thoughts were a lot different than Marcus's. He was too business thinking about death and how he didn't want to die. His thought process was he rather let Silas and me turn him before falling victim to my grandmother, something I didn't blame him for.

The woman was evil, and the closer I got to my twenty-fourth birthday, or should I say three hundred twenty-fourth birthday, the more of my memories returned. Today's memory hit me a little harder than the others. It was about my grandmother, my father's mother Agnes, who tried to kill me.

Grandparents were supposed to be like second parents. Loving and caring, except my grandmother wanted to kill him for my powers, although she claims it's because she fears me. In my vision, I was no older than eighteen, didn't know she was my enemy at the time and walked straight into her trap.

Flashback

It was early that morning, and I was sitting in the living hall, sipping my morning tea, when my messenger came knocking at my door delivering a message saying my grandmother required my presence. It wasn't usual, but it had been quite some time since last we met. So, it excited me. I loved the spells she taught me, so I didn't think twice about sending the messenger back to her saying to expect me no later than noon.

Quickly I ran upstairs to ready myself for our meeting, but before I could reach my room, I ran into my big brother. "Lord chile, you acted as if you got fire in that dress of yours. Where are you up to on this fine day?"

"Marcus Big Mama asked me over to pass the time. When the time we was down by The Bayou?"

"Yas didn't mama say to stay away from that woman...."

"Oh, hush, you're just as bad as her talking about Big Maman is in all that voodoo stuff. She's a good witch like us, and I loved the spells she teaches me."

"You're naive, Yasmine. It would help if you listened to mama. If she doesn't trust the woman, we shouldn't either. Big Mama gives me weird vibes. Something about that woman ain't right, I tell ya."

Marcus knew nothing of what he was talking about. Our grandmother was good as we were. I knew, but they didn't like her. Instead of listening, I waved him off and ran into my room, pulling out my best dress, but not before telling the maid to send for the carriage.

We were pretty rich for a color family around this time. Mainly because them white folks were scared of our kind. They didn't like how we talked or looked, but most of their women loved our spells. Some of the men too, and they didn't mind tangling themselves in the sheet with our women. Most said it brought back the fire in their lives. They did anything to make themselves richer or for love that didn't exist. My mama or aunts didn't care long as their money was right, so they kept the spell going.