52. Are We Home Yet?

Phana's POV

Yo's dad insisted we all go to Yo's house instead of back to the dorms. He wanted his son close. I understood, of course, but part of me was impatient. I wanted to talk to Yo alone. We had so many things to discuss and I was fairly certain that with everyone around, we weren't going to have any time tonight. Not to mention the fact that I wasn't even allowed to ride with Yo back to his home. His dad, Ming, Joss, and Kao had that honor. New rode with some of the extra security staff and Park, who was going to a secure facility. I was stuck with Forth, Beam, and Kit.

"What's your problem?" Beam asked with a short glance into the backseat, where I was sitting next to Kit.

"Nothing!" Kit and I both said, then turned to look at the other briefly.

"Isn't it obvious?" Forth asked, keeping his eyes on the road. "Ming and Yo are together and these two are jealous."

"I am not!" We both shouted, too loudly in the confines of the car, then turned to stare at each other again.

Beam burst out laughing, mocking both of us while Forth was chuckling from the driver's seat. Damn their smug faces. He was right about me, of course. I wanted to be the one holding Yo right now. I know it was probably Yo's dad who was holding him and not Ming, but I still wanted it to be me.

I looked over at Kit, wondering if he was feeling the same way and realized he probably was. He'd been incredibly grumpy since we'd gotten in the car. I felt like a jerk. I'd been so concerned about my own feelings that I forgotten my best friend's. Since I'd met Yo, everything was about him. I'd practically ignored my friends in favor of my own issues.

"Is everything okay between you and Ming?" I asked a red-faced Kit. He looked like I felt: angry, embarrassed, and a little uncertain.

"I don't know," Kit sighed, looking over at me as I focused on him. "I told him that I love him, Pha. I've never said that before. I thought we were just dating, but then I was letting him in my bed and it felt so good and I told him I loved him and I really meant it."

"If you meant it, then it can't be that bad," Beam said, straining to look into the back from his front passenger seat. "He'll reciprocate when he's ready."

"He already told me that he loves me," Kit replied, looking annoyed.

"Okay, now I'm confused," I said. "What's so wrong about that?"

"If he really loves me, why isn't he here, sitting next to me?" Kit asked, a little too loudly. "He's always with Yo."

I shook my head, not sure how to respond. I felt the same way, even though Yo had assured me over and over again that Ming was like his brother. If Ming had Kit, why was he always with Yo? Why couldn't Yo be just a little less perfect, so I didn't have so much competition?

"I don't want to put my foot in where it isn't welcome, but I think there's something I should tell you both," Forth said, glancing in the rearview mirror to see us watching him. "Ming's my cousin, so we've known each other since we were born, and I can tell you that he's as loyal as they come. If Ming said he loves you, then he really means it."

"He loves Yo too, I've heard them both say it," Kit said, still looking upset.

"That's different," Forth answered positively. "Ming loves Yo like he would his own brother. They're even closer than real brothers, because they've both been there for each other during the worst times of their lives."

Kit and I sat quietly. I was trying to figure out how I felt about that, but Forth continued, "Listen, Yo would do anything for Ming and Ming would do anything for Yo. They need each other, but there isn't anything romantic. If you try to keep them apart, you'd be hurting both of them. Eventually, you would drive away any love they felt for you. They're a package deal. If you accept Ming and want to be with him, you'll have Yo in your life. If you want to be with Yo, you're going to have to accept that Ming will be part of your life too. Don't try to force them apart, because you'll come out the loser. But if you let them into your lives, you'll see that your life is better with both of them."