Epilogue 2 (Flashback)

Author's Note: This epilogue is a flashback to when Kao (played by the guy from Advance Bravely whose name is Jason Xu -- thanks to the person who found that information for me and let me know) speaks to his father in hopes of getting help to get to Yo. This epilogue is dedicated to @HimeMielyn who asked for this scene in the first place. I hadn't intended to continue with a long story about how Kao and his father eventually make up, but I'll let you imagine that it does in fact happen. Kao's father makes hard changes and eventually at least earns his son's friendship and has a relationship with them. He doesn't become a better person all at once, and Kao is less forgiving than his brothers, but in time, they are able to find common ground and a little bit of trust.

 He doesn't become a better person all at once, and Kao is less forgiving than his brothers, but in time, they are able to find common ground and a little bit of trust

Kao's POV

"Father," I said stiffly, trying to hold back my impending sense of doom. I can't believe I'm willfully talking to the man I swore I would never see again. The man who almost killed me and ruined the lives of my brothers. After all this time, the pain was still fresh in my mind.

He nodded at me and sat down at the table. I ordered a round of drinks, but could barely bring myself to swallow over the lump in my throat. All the words I'd imagined saying flooded my mind. I wanted to scream at him, to tell him how much I hated him, but this wasn't the right time. Recriminations could wait, right now, Yo was the only thing that mattered.

"I'm so glad that you called," my father said, smiling at me. It looked strained, like his face wasn't used to making that expression, which I was sure was simple fact. My father never smiled, at least not sincerely. "How are you doing? How are your brothers?"

"We're all fine," I said shortly, trying to keep my voice polite. He'd never cared when we were with him so he didn't have any right to ask now.

He stared down into his glass, a blank expression on his face. He cleared his throat and said, "So you're working for Mr. Panitchayasawad now? How long have you known him? It didn't seem like a typical boss/employee relationship."

"He's been helping us since his son found us, a few months after we ran away."

"He seems like he would be a good boss."

"He's more like my father. I don't know what would have happened to us without him."

My father took a deep breath, and I realized what I'd just said. Not that it was wrong, it was exactly the truth. Kris and Yo were more family for me and my brothers than this man had ever been. But saying it that way was probably insensitive. It didn't really matter, my father had never cared if we loved him before, why would he care now? Still, the words in that dream made me think. Someday, he may be able to be a good father. ... Like all the people Wayo has saved with his visions, your father has a part to play. He will help you save Wayo.

I started again, trying to get back to my main topic, "I'm sorry. This might seem rude, but I'm not really here to renew family ties. I need help and I think you're the best hope I have."