Fourty three

Beating.

Your heart was beating.

Beating faster than it ever had before.

Ringing.

Your ears were ringing.

Ringing so loudly everything else seemed to be whispering.

Tears.

Your eyes were flooding.

Tears choking you as you stood at the bottom of the astronomy tower.

The sun leaving you, the moon taking its place. Your hand wrapped tightly around the wand you called your own as your feet stayed glued to the first step. 

It had been a while since draco had awoken. His first request was for you to owl his mother, tell her it was ready. You considered lying, holding this day off but you both knew that wasn't an option anymore.

Malfoy had insisted you stayed here, out of sight. He was about to become someone else up there alone while you stood helplessly fiddling a peice of wood.

Your feet began to ache, your hands hungry for action. It didn't feel right, this whole thing didn't feel right.

You knew you should of listened to your head and stayed downstairs but your heart drove you insane. The beating and the ringing and the tears mixed together hurt, it was burning you from the inside out.

It felt like your whole world was caving in and you could stop it if you just moved.

You pulled the hair tie from your wrist, pulling your soft hair into a high pony tail so it was off your neck. You stood in one of cedric diggorys hoddie you raided from his room after his death. It was big, too big, the sleeves falling over your hands. The hood completely covering your face if you pulled it up. On the back had his number, his name. It didn't feel right, being here right now in his jumper. But if you were going to go down, you didn't want to leave him behind.

You let the big yellow sleeves cover your shaky hands as you began to climb the metal staircase, you could already hear dracos painful voice. All your brain could think of was how this was your final night, final day as students of hogwarts, normal kids. Everything was about to change.

It hurt you deep down to know you went from a party the night before to doom be a murderer.

You reached the top of the first staircase leading to another. You were under malfoy now. His shaky voice inches above your head, dumbledore pleading a few feet infront.

"Y/n..." Harry whispered. You pulled your wand up pointing it at him, your hands betraying your confidence. This wasn't how it was meant to go.

"Potter...what are you...why are you here?" You whispered back.

"I could ask you the same thing." He spat.

"I'm here to stop draco from making a mistake."

"You lied to us. You told me he wasn't one..." Harry sighed.

"We didn't have a choice harry. We really didn't." You replied, your hand shaking more violently.

"Don't you see. I have to kill you. Or he's going to kill her." Draco cried causing you and harry to fall silent. Potters eyes gaping at you as your heart fell to the floor.

"Go." Harry hushed. His head pointing to the stairs leading up to malfoy. "Do what you need to do." His voice full of so much emotion it hurt to hear. Harry was letting you pass, he was accepting you.

As you ran past him you quickly gave potter a hug before climbing the next set of stairs.

At the top stood draco malfoy, the boy you loved and opposite was the man who gave you a home, gave you a place to escape to.

Dracos hand as shaky as yours, his eyes full of tears as you held his wand out. Dumbledore completely disarmed already as if he was accepting the fate of death.

"I'm sorry you two got caught up in this. I'm sorry the school failed to keep you safe." Dumbledore said clearing his throat, malfoys eyes snapping to yours as you stood in the door way.

"Y/n?" Malfoy cried. His wand lowering slightly.

You strolled around to him, placing your free hand in his. Your other hand wrapped tightly around your own wand that pointed at the head master.

"I'm sorry we failed you sir." You replied.

"Y/n..don't do this. I can." Draco started but it was too late, your mind was set. You were going to do this.

The death eaters had now appeared in the room, all of them crowding around to watch.

"Avarda kadavra." You whispered. Your voice didn't sound like your own, it was matched with snapes, he stood next to you calling the exact same spell at the exact same time.

You watched as dumbledore body began to fall lifelessly off the astronomy towers, he was really gone. And you had killed him. Your eyes met with snapes who's hand had grabbed yours, moving your wand out of the way slightly so your wand faced the floor.

"Come on. We need to leave." He shouted as the death eaters began to run back down the stairs.

Your mind raced with theories of why Snape had stopped you, why he had killed dumbledore himself. Your spell just missing him.

"Y/n! Come on, we have to go!" Draco called,tugging on your arm pulling you down the stairs and into an all too familiar corridor.

Hogwarts was your home, but now it didn't belong to you, you didn't deserve it. You had no right to wear cedric jumper, to be in gryffindor or even be a witch. You'd used your power for nothing but evil.

You stood at the bottom of the astronomy tower, your feet stuck in place as harry called out to you, the soul crushing sound of his pleading voice paralysing you. At the end of the hall way was the family you were supposed to love and at the other end was the person you did love.

"Y/n. It's not too late. Please." Harry's voice broke as he called out to you. Draco inches behind you. Your eyes flickered between the two. The good and the bad. The black and the white.

"Y/n...Come on we have to go. " Draco begged. His hand tight around yours. The choice seemed obvious. You had an opportunity to escape, to leave the bad behind. The good was willing to accept you, keep you, love you even after what you attempted to do. But you knew deep down the dark Mark burned your skin, kept you hostage and that was never going to go, never going to fade.

"Y/n. You have a choice here" Harry called out again. The whole world came down to this. Your life seemed to have built up to this moment. Your heart screamed and beat for draco but your mind knew you had a better chance of survival with harry.

You dropped your head avoiding both boys gaze. Harry had the whole world behind him, he had the order, the weaslys, the school.

Draco, he had you.

You thought about what your mum would of done. The sound of spells flying above your head making it difficult to concentrate.

"Come on malfoy!" Snape hissed.

"Draco! Let her go..please." Harry begged down the hallway. Tears streaming down all three of your faces.

You felt malfoys hand release yours, he was willing to let you leave. Let you be good. He knew what you wanted and what you needed, he was willing to put your needs first.

And right then. When your hand felt the cold breeze of nothingness you realised who you wanted to be with, who you'd want to die with. All you managed to say was.

"I'm sorry. I love you." Before you  ran down the hallway, hoping you made the right decision.