Chapter 37 ~ Eevee

After a dramatic forest adventure, Ash had to stay in the hospital for a few days until doctors decided he could be let back home. However, they vowed to keep his shoulder at rest, not moving and not getting wet, and forbade Ash to battle or train for a few days to avoid extra strain. It got Ash upset a little ( "little" was an understatement - "very much" was a much more fitting phrase) and Serena promised to take care of that the instructions also instructed.

Her own hand was also stitched and tied, but the wound was not as bad as Ash's. However, the doctors also urged her to keep her hand at rest until the stitches could be removed. Serena had nodded and promised to follow the instructions.

However, they had been allowed to go to school, albeit on the condition that they would not overburden themselves. In Ash’s case, it had meant a temporary exemption from the battles, and he hadn’t liked it very much. When there had been battling at school, Ash had had to watch it from the side and it had made him sad. However, Serena had comforted him and said that soon his shoulder would be healthy again and then he would be able to battle as much as he could. It had made Ash pick up a little.

But there was one thing that interested them all very much. The Pokemon egg found by Serena had made the class enthusiastically interested in it and together they had tried to figure out which Pokemon's egg it was. Professor Kukui had offered to clarify that, but Serena had refused. She wanted it to be a surprise and only be revealed when the egg would someday hatch.

Yet it had not shown any signs of it. Nurse Joy, who had examined the egg at the time, had given her an incubator for it, but Serena preferred to keep the egg in a small, pink bag resembling Bonnie’s yellow bag, which she had sewn specifically for it. Ash had wondered about it at first, but Serena had explained to him that she wanted to keep the egg as close to herself as possible. Besides, the bag tactic made her see the egg all the time and make sure it was safe.

After a moment of wonder, Ash had found the tactic to be very effective, and stated that if Serena needed a break about carrying the egg, he could very well replace her. This had made Serena blush a little, for she couldn't help, but think of her and Ash as parents of an egg and an unborn Pokemon. However, she had nodded and Ash had seemed excited.

Not only people were interested in the egg. Braixen, who had recovered completely healthy, thanks to Nurse Joy’s good care, also used to take care of the egg when Serena or Ash couldn’t do it. She used to put an egg on her bushy tail while sitting on a couch, for example, and when Serena had come out of the shower one evening, she had found Braixen humming a lullaby song for an egg she had necessarily wanted to take care of when Serena was on the shower.

Serena had also noticed that Braixen used to look at the egg and then Greninja, who used to blush deeply from these gazes, with a significant gaze, and it made Serena wonder if there was more to it than just Braixen's urge to take care of the egg.

Clemont, and Bonnie especially, had also been very interested in the egg. They had been with Serena and Ash long after hearing about the accident and coming to the hospital to see them. Bonnie was very worried and asked with her eyes wide open if Ash could throw a Pokeball after this. Ash had chuckled and said of course he could. Bonnie had calmed down after hearing this and was then interested in the egg Serena had found.

She had tried to guess which Pokemon's egg it was and stroked its smooth surface with admiration. She had wondered how warm it was, and then asked when it might hatch. However, no one could say anything about it, so Clemont said they should just be patient and let nature do its job.

But it happened before. Now we jump to Saturday because something big is happening today.

                               ****
"Aww man, I wanted to go to the beach so much!" pouted Bonnie as she watched from the window as it rained outside and water flowed down the window glass. "Dedenne would have liked to go too, right, Dedenne?"