Chapter 4: Moments

Lizzie

I found Rose up in our dorm, sitting there tensely. Seemingly to be in a state of shock. "Rosie?" I carefully said, approaching her with caution.

"T-Tell me." Her voice shook as she responded. She looked up at me, looking me in the eye. Her eyes were glassy, confused, angry and in pain. I knew for a fact that she was genuinely upset. The last time she had felt like this was when Scorpius had started calling her names. It had been a dark time, since she had taken all of those things to the heart. But eventually, she stopped caring and she and Scorpius had suddenly become acquaintances. "And this time..Don't lie to me. Just please, don't lie to me anymore." She had a pleading look hinted on her face. I couldn't lie to her anymore. I couldn't keep this secret anymore.

I sighed, deciding on how to explain. My hands trembled in fear as I tried to prepare myself with any reaction Rose was going to give me. I was preparing for tears, shouts, anger and possibly even a slap.

Even though I struggled, I said it. "..I'm dying, Rose." And with that she bursted into tears. I sat on the bed, wrapping my arms around her in a tight embrace. She ferociously shook her, trying to push herself away as she sobbed. But I wouldn't let her.

"-No-no, you can't b-be. You can't! You're not! Stop lying!" She sobbed as she finally gave in, latching herself to me as if I would fade away at any moment. My heart clenched at the sight of her so upset; so sad.

I rocked her back and forth "Shhh...Shhh...It's going to be fine. Everything is gonna be alright." I said softly, trying to calm her sobs down.

"But it-it's n-not!" She argued, her tears staining my sleeves.

A small tear fell from my eye. I knew what she said was true. It wasn't. "I know...But eventually, it will be."

A long period of time had passed before Rose resorted to a silent cry. Eventually, she stopped crying. "Liz?" Rose said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" I said, looking at her.

"W-why didn't you tell me, or anyone?"

I swallowed. "Because..I didn't want the reaction. I didn't want the pity. I didn't want to be looked at like I had to be handled with so much care. I'm not fragile...It's bad enough some people already think of me as a freak-"

"You're not a-" Rose trie to interrupt, but I stopped her.

"-Yes. I am. You know that it's not normal having my eyes."

"Yeah...But you're unique. You're different just like everyone here in the wizarding world. We have powers. We can do mag-"

"-No...Even witches or wizards like me don't have these eyes. Only those with Hexheartonia, Rosie...If we're freaks in the muggle world, then I'm the biggest freak there is."

She frowned. "Dont' say that."

"It makes my entire situation complicated. Even more complicated if people find out. The last people that I want to find out is you, Al, Freddy, James...Everyone in your family. I don't want you lot to worry about me. I'm just..scared, Roe. I don't want anyone to be upset, or hurt. I didn't want any of you to give up on me. It's selfish, I know..But I really don't want to put you all through that." I sighed heavily, "...That's also why I refuse to admit to everyone that I like Al. This just complicates things, Rosie."

Rose frowned and said. "Just stop right there, Liz. I understand where you're coming from. But don't even think for one second that any of us would give up on you. We care about you too much, Lizzie." She ran a hand through her hair, looking a bit frustrated. "I-it's just that, I knew that something was wrong. For the past years, everything sometimes just didn't add up. You'd always be in pain and you're always disappearing off somewhere...And you're eyes, knew they just weren't normal- I-I just..I just don't want you to die, Liz!" She looked like she wanted to cry again. But before she could start bawling her eyes out, I pulled her back into a hug once again.