Chapter 6: Broken

Al's POV

Even though I fancied my best friend, I still had to act like a boyfriend to Maci. And I do need to hug, cuddle, and kiss someone.

As the days passed, I found Maci even more irritating. She always nagged me, and complained a lot. All she wanted to do was snog me. My lips were going chappy, I'm serious.

I mean, she wasn't that bad, really. Aside from the snogging, which is pretty good, she was nice to me. We'd have decent conversations, and we never really argued much. Come to think of it, our only arguments were always about Lizzie, or how annoying I find her nicknames for me are.

I'm gonna be flat out honest. Christmas and New Years wasn't as fun. Christmas seemed a bit more gloomy this year.

Was it because of Liz? Christmas was usually her favorite holiday. She loved the snow, the company, the presents, and the happiness. But something was off about her this year.

I remember that every year before, she'd come over during our Christmas Eve party. She always made it fun. She'd even come to our New Years Eve party too. She seemed more cheerful before. I mean she was smiling now for sure, but something seemed off about it. As if she was pushing it.

We had a New Years Eve party in the Gryffindor common room. We even invited a a few Ravenclaws and Hufflepuff. Scorpious was the only Slytherin.

At the count down for New Years, everyone looked happy. Even Rose. She hasn't smiled in a long while. Of course when it hit New Years, Maci and I kissed. As we kissed, I noticed that Aiden was trying to put the moves on Lizzie, but she managed to escape to her room, running away from Aiden. She didn't come down at all afterwords. I wanted to greet her a happy new year and all that, but everywhere I went, she managed to stay away.

I noticed though lately, even after New Years, and a few days before Christmas. I haven't seen her in long while. We haven't talked. When I tried to talk to her, she'd respond quickly and leave. She and Dom even moved away from Maci and I in Muggle Studies and our other classes. When I wasn't with Maci, I tried looking for Liz. I went to the usual places she'd visit, but she wasn't there. And every time I saw her, she somehow manages to slip away from my grasp. She never spoke to me. Was she mad at me?

I have to admit, I was getting frustrated and upset at her. I didn't really know what was wrong to be honest.

Everytime I tried to talk to her she'd make a quick reply and make some excuse on having to go somewhere else. She was avoiding me. I could tell. Even my family was a bit mad at me. Rose kept calling me an idiot, Lily hits me in the head, and Fred and James would try and hit a bludger at me when we would play a game of quidditch. The rest of my family were just disappointed in me, especially when Maci was around. But during the times she wasn't around me, everyone seems a bit more fine. They talked to me when she wasn't around, but when Maci was around swooning over me, they'd occasionally ignored me, or gave me a look of disgust when they saw Maci and I snogging.

I remember when I spoke to Liz in the library before Christmas. It was the first long conversation we've had in a while. I felt bad for always having to leave her. But Maci kept hogging all my attention.

Then I kissed her on the forehead. Ugh, stupid! That's a kiss you give to your little sister.

But I was glad I managed to get that close to her. I haven't hugged her in a while. Even during Christmas I only got to hug her once. I hope she liked the present I got for her. I got her a silver charm bracelet, there were five charms on her bracelet. A book, a heart, a broomstick, and the letters: L and H. Engraved in the chains of the bracelet, it says: To my favorite girl, Love Al. We always signed off our presents like that.I don't know if she saw it. We only had a brief moment of exchanging gifts.