Chapter 14: Out

Al's POV

I don't know how long I was standing there at the middle of the quidditch pitch, still looking off at the exit where Lizzie ran out from. I didn't know how long I stayed at the pitch.

Probably for an hour.

I was still shocked. Stricken. I was just so...Speechless. I hadn't expected that to have come out of Iz's mouth. I knew the secret she kept was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. I had to admit though, when I heard her say that she was dying, I wanted to punch something, yell, and even cry.

I mean, the girl I'm practically falling for is dying. I mean who wouldn't.

You would say that I seem to be taking this very well, and very lightly. You would think my tone of voice right now would be blunt, and hollow. But I guess that's how I am after I've screamed out at no one, kicked the ground, and cried like a girl.

Yes, I did all that. I guess I was expressing teenage angst and pain. I guess this is how girls feel all the time when their on their...er, time of the month.

I pity the female population. No wonder Mum's a tyrant. Or maybe that's just how she is.

Yeah, I'll never understand what Dad saw in Mum sometimes, but I guess it's love, right? I mean, Dad fell in love with his bestfriend's little sister, Uncle Ron fell in love with his bestfriend, and I was just doing the same as how Uncle Ron did.

Sometimes I wonder if Liz and I would end up getting married. I knew that I was too young to even be thinking about this sort of stuff. I was only 15...But hey, I wouldn't mind ending up with Liz forever. But that thoughts been pushed out due to the fact that Liz is dying.

Damn, I still can't get use to the fact that Liz is dying. It was just so hard seeing her...gone.

I told Liz that I'd be with her, even if we had a couple months, or a few years left. But my heart dropped, and I felt queasy when she said she only had a month left. A month.

*Flashback*

"Y-You'd be willing to stay with me for a month? 31 days?" She had said. The thought of her being gone in a month froze me. Shocked me. The thought couldn't even be processed in my mind. I was surprised. It was too soon. We'd only started talking. I didn't know what to say. I just didn't know. I just kept on looking at her. At how upset she was. She looked at the ground. She didn't even look at me. "I thought so." She muttered.

No. No. I couldn't lose her. I wanted to be with her. I wanted her last month on this planet to be the best. But for some reason, the words couldn't fumble out of my mouth.

But she ran. She ran away from me, trying to get away from me. For the hundredth time, she ran. I knew that this time, it would be hard to get her back. When she was already a few meters away, only then I striked up the nerve to speak, "LIZ! IZZIE! IZ!" I shouted after her, but she kept on running. She just ignored my call, and just kept on running.

*End of Flashback*

I didn't want her to go. I didn't even know if I could even last with her gone. I wanted her to live...But I didn't know how to cure her. We've learned about Hexheartonia...but most of the cures were basic myths.

It was only 10:37 PM, and the Spring Ball was still going. Balls like these usually lasted until 12. I manage to clear off my face, and made it seem like I hadn't been crying. I returned to the ball, even if I didn't want to go, but I had to tell Maci that I didn't feel well at all. I just couldn't even be dancing when I had to deal with the fact that my best mate was dying.