21 Déjà-vu

The next morning I was torn from my sleep by the ringing of my alarm clock. That was weird, because I couldn't remember setting an alarm. I opened my eyes and realized that I was once again alone in bed. With a deep sigh of disappointment I turned around to turn off the alarm.

When I had done so, I noticed a note on my bedside table. I took it from the bedside table with a trembling hand and began to read it.

Good morning baby, I will pick you up in one hour. Please get ready and put on the outfit I hung on the bathroom door for you. 

Breakfast is ready too and you only have to heat it up. See you later. 

I love you. 

Adam

What was going on here? Why these secrets? Couldn't Adam just tell me what was going on? Again I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach. And again I felt sick. I ran into the bathroom and threw up into the toilet. I could not stand this uncertainty one day longer. If he didn't tell me the truth behind his behavior today, I had to decide on the consequences. No matter how much it would hurt, because it certainly could not go on like this.

After I felt a little better, I got up and brushed my teeth. While I was doing this, I turned around and saw a beautiful red dress hanging on the door. I took a deep breath and decided not to think about what would happen today. Instead, I decided to get ready and wait for Adam.

When I was finished, I sat down in the living room. Eating was out of the question for me at the moment because I was far too nervous. Thousands of thoughts were running through my head and I still couldn't find a logical explanation.

About ten minutes later, Adam entered the house, but at first I didn't notice him at all, as I was still deep in thought. He cleared his throat to get my attention. I turned my head and there he stood. Adam looked damn good. He was wearing tight dark jeans, a white dress shirt and a dark blue blazer.

Our behavior and moods could hardly have been more different. While Adam grinned from ear to ear and just seemed happy, I still didn't feel any better. I couldn't even return his smile and would have wanted to throw up again.

He came over to me and pulled me off the couch, looking deep into my eyes.

"It's all right. You do not need to be afraid. I just have a little surprise for you. Can we leave?" he said while he stroked my arms with his warm hands. Since I did not trust my voice, I just nodded. Adam took my hand and led me outside. He locked the door and turned on the alarm before he opened the car door for me.

And then we were already on our way, but I didn't pay attention to where he was taking me. About half an hour later Adam parked the car and when I raised my eyes I knew where we were.

"Adam, what..." I started to say.

"Shh...just a moment Y/N. Let's take a few steps." We both got out of the car and Adam immediately came up to me and took my hand again. We walked for a few minutes and I suddenly had a déjà vu. At this beautiful lake, in this beautiful park, we have been many times before. This place had a very special meaning for both of us. Greenwood Urban Wetlands at Lake Greenwood.

"Y/N I love you and Aiden with everything I have. I know I made a huge mistake in the past. Because of that mistake I almost lost you forever and I can't tell you how grateful I am that you gave me a second chance. A last shot, so to speak.

You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I always knew deep in my heart that you are the one for me. You are the strongest woman I know. You carried our son and gave birth to him. And you were there for him when I wasn't.

I will never stop thanking you for letting me back into your lives. Just one look in your eyes and Aiden's and I feel like home. I brought you here to this place where I asked you to marry me. Now I will do that again.

So Y/N L/N will you make me the happiest man on this planet and marry me?" Adam said and dropped to one knee. Then he pulled out a jewelry box and opened it. When I saw the ring, I was actually shocked. That was my ring.

"Adam how... where did you..." I was speechless.

"I found it a while ago in the little box in the linen closet. You know, the box with the pregnancy test and the ultrasound pictures. But could you please answer me? You're really making me nervous," he replied.

"Oh, my God. Yes. Of course yes," I said and tears were streaming down my face.

"Thank God," Adam whispered before he put the ring on my finger and kissed it. Then he stood up and pulled me close and kissed me like there was no tomorrow.

Afterwards we hugged each other and stayed like this for what felt like an eternity. When we finally let go, he looked deep into my eyes. His look contained so much love and gratefulness.

"May I ask you one more question?" he asked me.

"Of course!" I replied.

"Will you marry me today?" Adam asked me.

"What? Today? But I have nothing to wear and none of our family and friends will have time. Besides, Aiden is not here," I said overwhelmed.

"It's all organized. I just need your answer," he replied. Now everything suddenly made sense.

"So that's what you've been doing the last few weeks? You planned all this?" I asked Adam.

"Yes, exactly. And another little thing...do you know what day today is?" he wanted to know.

"No, why?" I replied after a moment of thinking.

"Today would be our second wedding anniversary. So I ask you once again. Will you marry me today?" he beamed, apparently very pleased with his plan.

"Yes, I want to marry you today," I said and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Good, because I don't want to spend another day with you without being married to you," he whispered into my ear.