스물여덟

one flower endured through it alone

¤━━━¤

"I was about to call the police on you if you didn't come back in the next minute" Chenle leant against the wall, phone tucked under his arm as a fowl expression was painted across his face. she wanted to laugh at him, provoke him, do anything to annoy him but he looked as if he was ready to shoot anyone who even dared.

"do you trust me that little?" jisung sighed, patting him on the shoulder as he brushed past

"this isn't about trust, it's about me not liking the idea that she wouldn't take me to go eat instant noodles" he grabbed her wrist, dragging her along as jisung walked a few steps in front. they made their way around to the van parked outside, her stretching her arms as soon as she got in. it was pretty late, yet she wasn't quite too tired yet

"what did you guys talk about?" chenle slid into the seat next to her as she found comfort against the glass pane.

"everything and anything" she smiled "did you know he doesn't eat instant noodles?"

"yeah" he thought back to a couple years back, and it reminded him of how smiley and happy jisung use to be

"you reckon we'll find inho soon?" she asked lazily, glancing at his fingers slotted into his pockets as he stared blankly in front of him

"we'll get our information soon enough" chenle looked at her, leaning his cheek against this palm "can i ask you a question"

"you're going to ask me anyways" she fluttered her eyes shut, head against window.

"is this the life you want?"

she was silent, until her eyes opened again to stare at the night playground in front of her. the flickering lights blurred against the dusty window and the leaves dancing along the waltz of the stars.

"i don't know" she let out a breath "yes i love this adrenaline and i love the thrill of it all but it gets...tiring? and now that i've gotten myself in this mess i just have to keep pushing through, maybe when i go to TOP with winwin after it'll be more relaxed"

he stiffened at the last sentence, nodding slowly

"do you have a bucket list?" he asked, slipping his hand out of his pocket to edge towards her fingers. but she responded fast, as intertwined them without another thought

"a mental one" she chuckled "it's childish i know"

"what's on it?" he seemed genuine, and his eyes were becoming dreary from the lack of sleep

"spend a day in normality" hyejin bit her lip. if she said those exact some words 3 years ago, she would've known she was lying to herself. she was the most normal graduated high school student back then, and she wanted anything but to just live a life in an office.

but now that she had spent months in a van and watching murders go off left right and centre, it's hard not to want something as simple as normality.

"hm" chenle hummed. he understood, because he wished for that too. as a kid who was framed a murderer at 8, he knew exactly what it felt like to want his heart be at ease without the constant reminders that death is chasing him in an endless maze of life.

"let me take you somewhere tomorrow" he crinkled up a corner of his lips "and you don't have a choice"

¤━━━¤

she wanted to die, right there and then.

"you're fucking insane" she cursed and not in a good way. she ducked her head down, avoiding the students glances as she basically trespassed her old college. technically she was still the age to attend college, but would be considered as one of the seniors.