1.5

I awoke to a soft knock on my door. I groaned inwardly, dreading to get out of the soft bed. I yawned, throwing the covers off and sleepily making my way to the door. I opened it seeing the same elf looking at me nervously.

"B-breakfast is ready.." I smiled down at it as he was about to leave but I crouched down, stopping it.

"Wait, I have a question." The elf looked at me nervously as I lowered my voice. "Does Draco ever come to eat with the family?" It's eyes widened as he looked at Draco's door nervously the back at me.

"I..I can't speak poorly over my masters.."

"It's okay. I won't tell." I smiled sticking my hand out to it. It look at my hand slowly clasping my finger and shaking it.

"M..master D..Draco has not eaten dinner with the family since 2 years ago..H..He was suppose to go to Hogwarts but was told not to."

"Hmm..thank you. I'm Chloe by the way, but you can call me Clover. What's your name?" I said, smiling. It's eyes widened as he shuffled his large feet awkwardly.

"P-poppy..m'am..."

"Nice to meet you Poppy. Thank you for letting me know about meals. I'll be right down." Poppy nodded, giving me a nervous smile before disappearing. I closed the door quickly changing into some jeans and a black turtleneck. I placed the locket over the turtleneck letting it settle against my chest. I brushed my teeth quickly, pulling my long hair up into a ponytail. I grabbed my wand, putting it in my back pocket, and making my way over to the dining room.

Narcissa was waiting, alone, sipping some tea as she smiled softly seeing me.

"Good morning, Chloe."

"Good morning, Narcissa."

"Did you sleep well?" She asked, setting her cup down as I slid into the seat across from her.

"The best I've had in awhile." She seemed pleased with the answer as a steaming plate of food appeared in front of me. I didn't want to let her know that the place my father and I called home had been a rickety shack in Knockturn Alley. I started to eat the food noticing that she was watching me over the rim of her tea cup.

"Why didn't you attend Hogwarts?"

"Um, well..after mother's death, he didn't want me to go away. So he home schooled me."

"And he taught you everything you know?"

"Yes" I smiled, remembering the happy memories with him. "But I always dreamed of attending Hogwarts. It seemed so warm.." I trailed off taking a bite of my breakfast.

"You would've loved it. I felt very proud when Draco received his first letter." She smiled fondly, setting her cup down on the platter.

"Why didn't he go back this year?" Narcissa froze at my question. A mixture of sadness and pain lingered on her face as she settled her hands in her lap.

"I couldn't allow him to be around that..everyone knows Draco is a Death Eater.."

"Then why have him be initiated-"

"He had no choice." Narcissa said curtly. I frowned, setting the silverware on the plate.

"Everyone has a choice. Whether they want to do right or wrong, it is up to them. Not up to the ones who surround them." Narcissa eyed me lifting her head slightly.

"And who taught you that?" I didn't break her gaze, leaning back into my seat.

"My mother."

"And you expect me to believe and understand the words of a Muggle?"

"She was no different than you or any other witch in this world. She loved me because she was a mother. And a mother does not turn her back on her children nor does she force her child into such paths." I answered defiantly. She eyed me curiously, settling her hands in her lap.

"So did you choose to follow after your father? To choose this way of destruction and pain?" She asked slowly. My eyes widened slightly. I hadn't thought of that. Why had I chosen this path? Did I feel bad for my father? Did I want revenge on my mother? Why? I narrowed my eyes at Narcissa. 

"If you'll excuse me." I stood up abruptly, turning away from her and walking towards the main hall. I let out a short breath, feeling the heat from my anger rising to my cheeks. I shook my head letting out an annoyed sigh about to go up the stairs when I stopped seeing someone tower over me.

I looked up seeing Draco peering down at me. He was dressed in all black, an eyebrow raised in my direction.

"What are you looking at halfblood?" He hissed towards me as I narrowed my eyes at him. I stepped up, eyeing him.

"Absolutely nothing." I spat out at him stomping up the stairs and to my room. 

What I had failed to realize at the time was that Draco had been listening to our conversation the whole time.