T R E

「THREE AND HALF MONTHS AGO」

THREE AND HALF MONTHS AGO

I was woken up when muffled voices around me started to get louder. 'What happened? Shouldn't I be dead? How can I hear voices if I remember the gunshots? Did I miss it? That's impossible I remember holding a gun against my head.'

I didn't want to open my eyes and show them that I'm awake, so I kept my eyes closed. After a couple of seconds, I could clearly hear Xavier's and someone else's voice.

"..that would be the reason why she fell unconscious." The unknown voice said making Xavier hum.
"Yeah, she had a bad appetite over the past month. She would eat only a couple of bites then she would just push a plate away. And her sleep is also irregular." Xavier said with a heavy sigh.

"Yes, that's exactly what caused her body to weaken. Not enough nutrition and lack of sleep." The voice said and I think that I could be a doctor's voice because of the formality and certainty in his voice.

"But I must ask you something." The doctor said and I heard Xavier hum in response "She is your girlfriend, right sir?" Doctor asked and Xavier answered him in an instant.
"Yes. Why is that important?"

"Well, umm.. when we checked her body for any injuries we found a couple of bruises. The bruises were barely visible but they were still there. So that is nagging a question how did she get them. Because of those bruises, we sent her into the x-ray and there we found that a couple of her ribs were broken but healed, not fully but enough. Also, her wrist and a finger were broken on her left arm. She had-" Xavier cut doctor off.

"Yeah, umm a month ago," he started then stopped to clear his throat "..she was in a car accident. She broke a couple of her ribs, had broken wrists and fingers on her left arm, just like you said. She also had a concussion and she... umm, she," Xavier stopped himself and took a deep breath "..she also lost our baby because of the accident." He said and I heard the doctor take a sharp breath.

'Why is he lying. I wasn't in an accident. Those disgusting men did this to me, not a car accident. Is he ashamed to say that to the doctor? Is he disgusted by the truth that I was abused and beaten? He is, isn't he? He hates me.'

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That could also be a reason for her appetite and lack of sleep. I mean a losing a baby usually affects mothers the most. Did you try to take her to a therapist?" Doctor asked making Xavier sigh again.

"No. We didn't, but we planned to do so if she doesn't get better." Xavier said then cleared his throat "Umm, is that everything?"

"Yes, of course. If you need anything just tell the nurse to get me or tell her if she can help you with what you need." The doctor said and I could hear shuffling around the room before doors were closed and silence fell over the room.

I didn't still open my eyes knowing that Xavier probably stayed behind. And I was right. After a couple of silent moments, I could hear footsteps near my side of the bed.