T R E N T A S E I

— x

— x.ᴅ.ʀ.

"Take her in the room." The doctor said to one of the nurses then turned to me leading me towards one of the hallways.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked letting curiosity talk instead of me.

"I'm taking you to NICU to see your children." Doctor answer calmly yet I couldn't miss the edge in his words.

My head bobbed as I took his words in. 'He is taking me to see my children. My chil- wait a minute'

"You mean a child?"
"No, sir. She had twins." He said turning his head to the side to face me with his brows pulled together. "She gave birth to twin boys. Didn't you know she was carrying twins?"

My steps halted and my eyes bulged out. 'Twins? Like two babies? I'm a dad of two more?'

My hand went up to my face rubbing it to see if I would wake up from a dream. I'm a dad of twins. Heart in my ribcage started to beat faster than ever before in my life.

"-ir, are you okay?" I snapped back to reality when the doctor shook my shoulders a little. "Are you okay? Didn't you know?"

"N-no." I started shuttering then cleared my throat "No, we didn't know she was carrying twins. How is that even possible to miss a baby, for so long?"

"It's possible to not detect a hidden twin but it should have been seen at 20 weeks check-up. When was she last time on ultrasound?" Doc asked as we continued our way towards twins.

"A couple of weeks ago. She was 26 weeks."

"And the doctor didn't say anything?"

"She said that she has, umm how did she say that it's called. I can't remember the name, there was a lot of amniotic fluid around the baby."

"Yes, that's caused by multiple pregnancies. And that also answers why her water broke so early, was she under a pressure of some kind, stress?"

My mind went blank, I was again a cause of her almost dying and jeopardizing the baby's life also.

"Yes, she was." I let the words slip past my lips with a heavy sigh. It hurts me so much to know that I could have lost her again because of my past mistakes.

"Well, that is what triggers it. She shouldn't have been exposed to that kind of stress." He said as he stopped in front of a big glass door.

"Before we enter you need to know a couple of things." He exclaimed as a pitying look took over over his face again.

"They were born early and as prematurely born, that's why they are here. In NICU. However, the problem is that one of the boys is way smaller than the other one."

"Smaller? What do you mean? What does that have to do with anything?"

"The smaller twin was hidden twin, his brother took most of the food and that's why he grew much faster than other one."