(ii) the chunin exam

three years later age:8

it was officially that time of the year in the hidden leaf village. chunin exams were in full swing and it was time for the last stage.

the third hokage stood in front of a gathering of ANBU members.

"i want guards at every entrance and exit. make sure the exam ends smoothly!"

"yes sir!"

he left the room, leaving the members to discuss amongst themselves.

"this year's exams are going to be exciting"

"i've heard that uchiha's three prodigies are taking part and have already reached the final stage. they really are something."

"who three?"

"well there's itachi, shisui and y/n uchiha."

a silver haired boy had been listening to this conversation with interest, not that he would tell anyone.

"kakashi! it's time to go", one of the members called out

nodding, he headed out of the room.

some two hours later, the exams began.

the three uchihas walked into the stadium together, attracting glances as they did. in the past three years, itachi and y/n had grown stronger, itachi's younger brother sasuke was born and the nine tailed fox had attacked the village, resulting in the death of the fourth hokage minato. shisui, who had met itachi before they joined the academy, became her friend. the three grew very close, despite the unspoken efforts by each of them to surpass the others.

one would probably say that shisui was stronger, because he had already awakened the mangekyou sharingan upon the death of his teammates in the third shinobi war. and besides, he was three years elder than the other two.

"they're staring at you", y/n teased shisui

"oh come on, it's all three of us.", he replied

"i'll beat you today, itachi", she told him

"pfft as if i'd let you", he replied

"she's strong enough you know", shisui sided with her. she blushed lightly.

"whatever you say", itachi said, "let's walk out of here as chunin."

"yes!", the other two synced.

meanwhile the ANBU members had arrived at the venue and were standing at each entrance.

the exams began. the crowd roared at itachi's effortless win against a sand ninja.

a thunderous applause was heard when shisui defeated his opponent from the stone village.

"NEXT UP: uchiha y/n vs darui of the hidden cloud village"

on-lookers began to watch as y/n walked out into the arena, looking calm and composed. her opponent, older than her, walked out as well.

"do you think she'll win?", a man sitting in the stands asked

"her opponent is three years older than her" the other replied

"there's no debate, she's definitely losing the match."

"it doesn't matter though, two uchihas have already made it to the next round. good enough."

the match began. darui attacked first, running towards her, throwing a shuriken. but using minimal effort, she dodged the attack, throwing two kunai knives in the process. they didn't work of course, as he blocked them out.

she stood still for a few seconds, her black orbs quickly turning to red ones. and she copied his next attack with ease. darui hadn't expected an 8 year old to have already awakened her sharingan so he faltered in his lightning style attack, taken aback.
y/n, who had just copied the same attack stood unfazed. she took the opportunity to weave hand signs for a wind style attack.

"Wind release: snapping air bullet", she firmly said, sending the attack his way. the attack landed and he let out a cry, falling to the ground. he got back up, clutching his arm where the wind bullet had passed through, and attacked again with lightning style, sending a single ray of laser her way. seeing the attack coming, y/n jumped into the air, gathering all her chakra into one hand and releasing it in a punch. darui collapsed on impact, instantly unable to continue.

"the battle has ended! uchiha y/n wins!", the referee said. the crowd gasped in shock. their shock intensified when y/n walked upto her opponent, holding out a hand to help him get up. the dark skinned boy accepted the gesture, commending her skills.

in a ninja world that had just undergone a war, and where uneasiness and mistrust grew rampant among shinobi of different villages, her simple gesture certainly made the onlookers stop and stare.

ANBU members looked at each other, as if to convey their surprise to one another.

"i can't believe it! she actually did that AND beat him!", the man from earlier said

"that's what you get for making assumptions about people", a voice behind them said quietly. they turned around to see a boy in an ANBU mask. he was significantly shorter than the other black ops, sporting the signature silver hair he inherited from his father.

he had watched the match with interest and was impressed by how far she had gone, being so young.

the fights went on, with the three uchihas winning two matches each. y/n faced off against shisui in the semi finals and lost, leaving the both of the others to fight each other in the finals.

shisui won against itachi who conceded on account of having insufficient chakra left. all three of them were promoted to the rank of chunin.

kakashi, for some reason, couldn't stop thinking about the young shinobi he'd seen on the field.
---------------------------
because darui is underrated