(xliv) old friend

a new challenge awaited y/n as the captaincy was announced. and she was just about to find out.

the captains assembled before the gathering of 80,000 shinobi of all villages and even samurai.

she stood before her now-subordinates, which was 1/5th of the whole allied shinobi force. kakashi cleared his throat. at once, everyone fell silent.

it was amazing how much power he had.

"i'm hatake kakashi", he introduced himself as if everyone didn't already know who he was, "and i will lead this division in the war."

y/n stepped forward, "i'm uchiha y/n", she said in a clear, crisp voice. "and i'm next in the chain of command."

whispers broke out through the group as she introduced herself. she too had gained some credit to her name over the years. but the whispers she heard were nothing she expected.

"imagine putting an uchiha in charge when the perpetrator of all this is an uchiha himself", a hidden stone shinobi said in hushed tones. murmurs of agreement followed.

"we have lost the war before it even started if a traitor is going to lead us"

"isn't she too young to be leading?"

"we all know blood is thicker than water"

"all uchihas are traitors"

this comment ticked y/n off the most.

she held up a hand, gesturing everyone to stop talking, giving an enraged stare that sent chills up the spine of every shinobi standing there.

"i know", she said with absolutely no expression, "i know that uchiha madara is the root of this problem. and with every fibre of my being, i despise his actions. believe me, if i did have enough power to sever his head and bring it to all of you, i would."

there was pin drop silence.

"unfortunately, i don't. but i would die before i betrayed konohagakure or sold out anyone.", she said plainly, "so i request you all to lend me your power"

darui and gaara looked at her in surprise. shikamaru and kakashi just smirked.

"don't you DARE question my loyalties", she awakened her sharingan, "i have been and will always be loyal to my village, to my friends, to my comrades. and as of today, loyal to every shinobi that is present here"

the doubt in the eyes of the people seemed to fade away, replacing itself by intimidation.

"and", she folded her hands, standing tall, "if i still haven't convinced you....i really, truly, don't care. because whether you like it or not, i'm who you answer to now."

she was not one to make speeches. so she just said the bare minimum of what needed to be said because time was of the essence today.

kakashi patted her back. "let's go, vice commander"

"was it too much?", she whispered as they left

"i think they're scared now"

"perfect"

the divisions were dispersed.

y/n high fived shikamaru, "see you on the flip side"

he nodded, "don't die"

"you too"

kakashi led the group into the woods, curious of who they would face. and imagine their surprise when it was zabuza and haku back from the dead.

how fitting. the first of the many daunting opponents that team 7 faced.

the fight against the duo unfolded when y/n sensed great chakra from another direction. it seemed oddly familiar to her but she couldn't quite make out who it was. probably another edo tensei.

"kakashi!", y/n called, "there's another opponent heading our way!"

"how far?", he yelled back, exchanging blows with haku again

"about a kilometre! the chakra is overwhelmingly strong"

"are you sure it's one person?"

"positive", she was still trying to pinpoint where she'd sensed this chakra before, "i should go check this out!"

"take a thousand with you", he said, "we'll join you once i'm done here"

y/n signaled to the shinobi, "any sensory shinobi here?"

a few hands were raised. " okay what about mid range?"

more hands were raised this time. "i need a hundred from every village!"

they nodded yes and a separate party was created for the opponent they were to face. it kept bothering her.

"who is it...who is it...why can't i tell?"

when they were about a hundred meters away, it hit her like a bus.

"there's absolutely no way..."

their target appeared before them.

y/n gulped at the sight before her, heart in her mouth.

"hey y/n", the boy before her grinned

she took a deep breath, desperately trying to calm herself down.

"i cannot let my feelings interfere, especially when people are still doubting my authority"

so she swallowed her thoughts and faced the opponent before her.

"hi shisui"
___________________________________

are guys unable to register the word 'no'

like DO THEY NOT UNDERSTAND

someone pls tell the guys in my dms to fuck off if all they wanna do is make small talk and ask me for nudes