(xix) sasuke

the next day

"it seems kinda unbelievable that you're my boss for the next few days", kurenai told y/n, who was sitting in a room in the hokage's building. thankfully tsunade hadn't called for her today so she had just carried on with her work as assigned.

"well it's a boring job.", y/n replied

just then tsunade walked in.

"so this is your mission, yuhi-chan", y/n said, handing a scroll to kurenai.

"got it", she replied, leaving the room

"how's it going?", tsunade asked, surprisingly casually as she took a seat in front of her.

"okay so far", y/n said, looking through the list of missions

"ask your former sensei in case you have any doubts", she said teasingly

"so you found out huh, tsunade-sama", she said, blushing a bit

"well of course", she replied, "also you should tell him how you feel"

"i don't even know how i feel"

"i'm just saying, you miss 100% of the chances you don't take"

"that's very wise tsunade-sama but no"

"life as a shinobi is unpredictable, y/n. you never know how much time you have left. anyway get back to work."

y/n pondered over the words she'd heard as tsunade left. as much as she didn't wanna admit it, it was true.

she'd stayed up nights wondering what could've been if she'd told shisui how she felt earlier.

"wait did i just compare shisui to kakashi?"

and just then, kakashi was back, walking in with his head buried in the latest book of the icha icha series.

"oi, bakashi", she threw a pen at his head, making him look up in a startled manner. "you're late"

"sorry i-"

"got lost on the path of life?", she asked, brimming with sarcasm

"you know me so well y/n", he smiled, walking in and sitting down on the table across from hers.

"that smile is ruining everything"

one week later

sakura ran through the village with blurred eyes, not knowing who to tell about what had just occurred.

she suddenly bumped into kakashi.

"kakashi-sensei!", she said, her voice trembling

"what happened, sakura?", he asked

"sasuke-kun.... he... just", she could barely get the words out of her mouth, tears falling from her face yet again.

"what about sasuke?"

"he left", she said, breaking down