(xxxiii) soft spot

"what is it now, tsunade-sama?", y/n walked into the office, noticing her solemn expression.

"is everyone here?", she asked

kakashi, jiraiya, naruto, sakura and y/n were now in the room.

she turned to face them. "orochimaru is dead"

"YES!", y/n yelled, making everyone else in the room look at her, astonished. "sorry, i just... i hated that asshole"

kakashi stifled a laugh.

"so who killed him?", sakura asked

"it seems", she sighed, "uchiha sasuke did it"

y/n's smile was replaced with mixed emotions. she stiffened up at the mention of his name. "so..... what is he doing now?", she slowly asked

"we don't know", tsunade replied, "he is said to be headed towards one of orochimaru's hideouts"

"itachi", y/n said suddenly. everyone looked at her for an explanation, "he's recruiting people to help him achieve his goal of killing itachi"

"how do you know?", tsunade asked

"think about it", she replied, "didn't we hear a few days ago that there was disturbance in the hidden mist village and that zabuza's blade had gone missing?"

naruto's face wore a look of his usual unwavering determination. "sasuke has to come back to the village. please granny, let me bring him back", he pleaded.

she paused for a moment, "but we don't even know where sasuke is right now"

"well won't sasuke be in pursuit of itachi now?", jiraiya said

"so the easiest way to get to sasuke will be to-"

"find itachi", y/n said

"then it's settled. i'm assigning team kakashi and team 8 to a mission to track down uchiha itachi.", tsunade commanded

everyone left after a meeting time was agreed upon. except y/n who just stood still, staring at the floor.

"y/n?", tsunade asked

"hmm?"

"are you cut out for this mission?"

y/n snapped out of her thoughts. "of course i am", she said flatly before walking out.

jiraiya walked back into the room.

"what", tsunade said, looking away

"you know what, tsuna", jiraiya said, sitting down in front of her, "it's not a good idea to send her on this mission"

"if i don't send her, she'll go off on her own"

"no she won't", jiraiya said, "she's not the type to defy orders. you just don't want to stop her because you have a soft spot for her"

"what do you mean?", she said rather defensively, "i don't have a soft spot for ANYONE"

"y/n is the kind of person that anyone will have a soft spot for. tell me about it, even i do.", he said

"wait, why do you?"

"i trained her for a few months when she was around 16", he smiled, recalling the memory

"i didn't know this", tsunade said in surprise

"she was brilliant, even back then.", he said fondly, "one of my favourite students, to tell you the truth."

"she'll be able to handle herself, you know. she's been through a lot but doesn't complain. like kakashi, in that sense.", tsunade said, "believe it or not, i have thought this through."

"okay then, just making sure", he said, "so tell me about this infiltration mission you're sending me on. village hidden in the rain?"

"yes"

meanwhile, y/n was preparing for the mission. she went through her usual checklist in her head- waist pouch, gloves, headband and icha icha paradise. not that she would get to read it this mission.

she looked at herself in the mirror. "you're okay"
---------------------------
i don't think i realised how long the naruto storyline is when i started writing. plus i feel like if i try to include all the major parts of the timeline y'all will lose interest and stop reading.

please stay and read the whole thing 🙏

also look at this fan art i have died