(xxxix) goodbye

having defeated the summoned animal, y/n felt some sort of exhaustion, when she sensed kakashi's chakra. it seemed to be rapidly decreasing.

at once she ran in the direction of his chakra, her stomach sinking from nervousness.

"kakashi can't..... die right?"

she watched from afar as choji escaped the clutches of pain and an extremely weakened kakashi fought to stay alive.

"no"

she swallowed, gritting her teeth and took a kunai out, slightly dragging it across her palm to make sure she could still feel.

but then she saw the metallic weapon appearing from behind pain. yet another summoning animal. it was directed straight at kakashi.

"know pain", the leader of the akatsuki said

in the milliseconds that it would take for the weapon to strike kakashi, she made a decision.

"kakashi is not dying today"

and so she dove in front of him, causing the blade to pass straight through her.

"he knows more pain than you ever will"

blood sputtered from her mouth and flowed from her chest.

"y/n..", her favourite voice in the world addressed her shakily

"ka..ka..shi", she coughed, wincing at the pain.

her body went into shock, unable to process her injuries. just then, the weapon impaling her was retracted roughly, making her scream in agony.

"Y/N!", kakashi yelled out as she fell backwards, falling just before him.

she wearily looked at him, a faint smile across her face. "you're okay"

"w-why?", he whispered, getting a hand to caress her cheek

"because..", she groaned, jerking forward, "because i love... you"

"you're not gonna die", he mumbled, "you can't.. you can't die. not you too."

"we both know that's not true", she smiled, squeezing her eyes shut and sighing

"why would you-", his voice broke midway.

and for the first time since she'd known him, she saw kakashi hatake cry.

"kakashi", she sighed, tears falling from her eyes at the pain that coursed through her body. with all the strength that she had left, she brought a hand to his face.

he held her hand, keeping it there as tears fell from his eyes. "you can't leave me. p-please y/n."

"shhhh", she used her thumb, trying desperately to wipe away his tears, "crying doesn't suit you"

she put an arm around his neck for a few seconds, leaning into him slightly when he realised what she was doing. he felt his strength build up.

she was transferring the remainder of her chakra to him.

"no", he whispered, crying even harder now

"i'm sorry... that we", she coughed again, "couldn't have more time. i'm sorry."

and just then, pain was back. he gave a satisfied look at the sight.

"have you come to understand a little of what pain is?", he asked

y/n's fury knew no bounds at his statement. she turned his way, awakening her mangekyou for what she presumed would be her last time.

"did you not hear what i said you.... you piece of trash", she yelled out with inhuman effort, "he knows... he knows more pain than you ever will"

she held out a hand towards him.

"amaterasu"

at once pain fell to the floor, black flames that were hotter than the sun itself incinerating him.

y/n's hand fell back to the ground, almost lifeless. she faced kakashi again, still wiping his tears away.

"so this is how i die huh"

"goodbye, my love"

and her chakra was completely gone. as was she.

he ran his fingers through her hair, tears blurring his vision. "goodbye y/n"

just then, katsuyu, tsunade's summoning animal, showed up. she had healing abilities.

slowly, she crept up to y/n, examining her body. "tsunade-sama....", she said, shaking her head

tsunade's eyes widened in shock at her tone. she got up from the place she had been sitting in, using her chakra to enable katsuyu to heal everyone.

"y/n is.... dead"

in denial of what she'd heard, she ran towards a pillar on the terrace of the hokage's office, punching it with all her might to vent out her frustration. it fell to the floor, shattered. a reflection of what she felt at
that moment.

kakashi stared at her lifeless body, tears refusing to stop when her voice echoed in his head.

"crying doesn't suit you"

"i can't just let the chakra she gave me go to waste", he mumbled, getting up from the place he was in. he inhaled sharply. and continued to fight pain, both literally and figuratively.

half an hour later, pain used shinra tensei.

another fifteen minutes later, naruto showed up, equipped with sage mode and ready to defeat the six paths of pain.

"granny", he asked slowly, "has y/n sensei gone out on a mission? i can't sense her chakra"

tsunade stared at the floor, unable to break the news to him.

"i see", he said solemnly, turning to the pains "aren't there supposed to be six of them?"

"she took down one of them all on her own", tsunade said, "that's why there are five instead of six"

and the rest is history.
____________________________________

i'm in such a bad place rn. i just don't feel okay at all. i can't focus on studies and i'm having very negative thoughts all the time. i cry at the most random times.

my teacher asked me a question in class and i got it right but then i switched off my video and cried like ????

do i sound like i'm seeking attention or something idk.

i'm sorry if it comes off that way, really.

ukw just skip the outro i'm sorry