(xiii) almost ambush

the next day

"are you the leaf shinobi?", an elderly man asked the team that had just arrived at the gold mine

"yes we are", asuma said, handing a document that the hokage had given them

"okay good good", he replied, leading them to where the fleet was ready to be transported. "we're grateful for this"

the transportation was going to take about a week. so the team decided that three people would always be on lookout at the start of the group- one jonin and two genin.

not much in particular happened on the way. one of the cart's wheels fell off which was fixed. but otherwise the mission was quite smooth.

the first day ended and the three jonin decided to stay up and keep an eye on the rest of the people of the party. they sat around a fire, eating after they'd made sure everyone was gone.

"so how's it going with kurenai?", y/n asked asuma suddenly

"w-what do you mean?", he replied, stuttering a bit, "nothing's going on"

"ah i'll take your word for it", she smirked

"you should sleep a bit", kakashi told his former student.

"i should be telling you that, old age must be getting to you.", she retorted, making asuma laugh

"funny", he rolled his visible eye

the next two days were more or less similar, monotonous even. the genin were getting more and more restless.

presently y/n, shikamaru and naruto were at the head of the party on lookout.

"so this is just another boring mission!!! UGHHHH" naruto groaned

"this is a drag", shikamaru said lazily

"everything is a drag for you shikamaru", y/n said sharply, making his posture a bit more upright.

no sooner had she said that than a kunai flew towards her, just barely missing her face and hitting a tree behind her.

"ah looks like it isn't a drag after all", she told him, turning to face the direction the knife had come from. four people in masks appeared before them.

"wait are they leaf shinobi? i thought star shinobi were guarding the fleet", one of them asked the other

"who might you all be?", y/n asked

"it doesn't matter. what are three kid shinobi against us?"

she glanced at the six members of the team that hadn't revealed themselves yet.

"oh you're absolutely right. whatever are three shinobi against you people that can't throw a kunai accurately", y/n mocked.

realising her insult, one of the masked men stepped forward. "you sure have a mouth on you girl. hand over the gold and no one gets hurt", he growled. he set his hands together, forming signs for a fire style attack.

y/n at once realised this but decided not to use sharingan just yet. she countered his attack.

"fire style: fireball jutsu", she yelled, stopping his fire attack from reaching the gold.

another one of the robbers ran towards her but stopped in his tracks, unable to move. "shadow possession jutsu is a success", shikamaru smirked

"shadow clone jutsu", naruto yelled, attacking the two remaining robbers with his clones.

the ones naruto was attacking overpowered him. kakashi took this as a sign to enter the battle, instantly jumping in front of naruto to face the two. he lifted up his headband in a split second, revealing his other eye.

"ring any bells?", y/n asked, finally awakening her sharingan as she continued to attack her opponent.

"i-is that- the copy ninja", the two cowered in fear, "which means you're the uchiha girl!"

"nice to meet you", she smirked. "and now", she paused for a second, creating a sphere of chakra to strike her opponent. "rasengan"

the battle was over as soon as it begun. there was no comparison. after interrogation it was revealed that they were rogue shinobi wanted in the stone village trying to make a living off of robbing people.

it was decided that the team would be split; kakashi and y/n would take the rogue ninja to the leaf village while asuma and the genin would continue to the hidden star village.

they set off, keeping the rogues in order. they walked without much hesitation, accepting their defeat. the situation seemed to be under control, definitely.

or so they thought.

as they headed in the direction of konohagakure, once again they found their path blocked. only this time, it was by two people in black robes that bore red clouds. both wore shinobi headbands, with their respective village symbols slashed out. and one of those symbols was that of the leaf village. y/n felt her soul leave her fucking body.

"itachi"