The Red Fades, the Fragrance Disappears; Who Will Pity It? (8)

After walking far away, far enough that it was impossible for Xie Fei to see her, Xi Wen relaxed and let out a breath. She looked at the box she hugged in her arms again, face red, stroking the latch with her mind in a mess. Inexplicably, her heart bloomed with a hint of sweetness.

When Ting Lan came searching with a lantern, she saw Princess Anping standing in a daze and laughing foolishly. She quickly came forward, exclaiming, "Princess, you've finally come back! Where did you go? You almost worried us to death!"

Xi Wen raised her eyes and looked at Ting Lan, displeased. With a guilty conscience, she said evasively, "I— I didn't go anywhere, I just stayed at the pavilion by the lake for a while." She went around Ting Lan, clutching the box to her chest, speedily walking into the house.

After washing her face and rinsing her mouth, Xi Wen eagerly climbed onto her bed. When the palace maids had all left, she secretly took out the box from under her pillow, quietly unlatching it. Inside was a translucent, delicate jade rabbit ornament, carved vividly life-like, especially the jade rabbit's two red eyes, making the rabbit seem even more realistic.

Carefully wiping the jade rabbit ornament, Xi Wen slightly quirked the corner of her mouth, pursing her lips and laughing silently.Please read at yanyantls dot wordpress dot com.

As she basked in sweetness, she suddenly remembered Xie Fei seemed to have said "It's quite like you". Blinking, Xi Wen frowned, trying to guess what these words mean. When her smooth fingertips touched the jade rabbit's red eyes, a lightbulb lit up in her head. She finally understood what Xie Fei's words meant— he was mocking her as a crybaby!

"How is it alike?" Xi Wen mumbled, pouting resentfully. She looked at the jade ornament. After a long time, her eyes curved up into a smile again.

Just like this, she turned it over to keep looking at it. It was obviously just a simple jade rabbit ornament, but she felt that no matter how she looked it wasn't enough. In the end, Xi Wen, squeezing the jade ornament, fell asleep in a daze.

After sleeping peacefully for a night, on the second day Xi Wen woke up early. She laid in bed in a daze, her consciousness still a bit fuzzy, gradually remembering yesterday bits and pieces. Suddenly she remembered the jade rabbit ornament that Xie Fei had given her.

She wrung her hands, they were completely empty. She immediately rushed to throw aside the blankets and pillow, searching everywhere, but she came up empty-handed.

"Where's the jade ornament? Where did my jade ornament go..." Xi Wen kneeled on her bed, turning the covers inside and out in her search, not even letting the corners go unturned.

Ting Lan heard the noises from inside the house, pushing aside the beaded curtains and rushing in. She saw the princess looking for something on her bed like a crazy person. She hurriedly went up, asking, "Princess, did you lose something?"

"My jade ornament disappeared—" Xi Wen said anxiously.

Jade ornament?

Ting Lan "ah"ed. She asked, "Do you mean a white rabbit jade ornament?"

"Yes, do you know where it went?" Xi Wen asked eagerly, raising her head to look at Ting Lan.

Ting Lan laughed. "Princess, don't worry. Last night this servant came to add some blankets and saw the jade ornament was about to fall. I put it away for you. It's on the dressing table."

"Quickly bring it over, I want to see it," Xi Wen immediately instructed, letting out a puff of air.Please read at yanyantls dot wordpress dot com.

Ting Lan made a noise of agreement and went to bring the jade ornament over, passing it to the princess. When Xi Wen got it, carefully inspecting it once as though it was a treasure. She laughed happily after finishing her inspection. "As long as it's not broken."