Chapter#27

A few hours later Shane arrived at my apartment. It was about late noon and the sun was shinning but the streets were deserted.

"Shane." I looked at him in horror as I saw the big bruises and cuts on his chin, lips, corner of the eye. His fingers were injured too, of both hands! Fuck! And he was drunk!

"It's okay. Don't worry." He came in and locking the door behind him he embraced me in a hug as if in relief.

"Shane you're drunk and . . . . hurt." A sob left my lips as I said his name in a helplessness tone.

"Baby you don't have to worry about it. About anything, atleast for some time. I need to tell you something, it's important. " He said kissing my hair.

"But what happened to you? How did this. . . ." I said as I scanned him.

"I got into a fight with some guys and this happened." He said as he poked his tongue inside his cheeks and looked down.

"Who the hell do you think you are?! Why did you get drunk?" I shouted to my own surprise.

"I'm sorry Rachel. I didn't mean to scare you. Listen to me. . . . ." He trailed off when I moved away irritatingly from his hold.

"Don't! You always do this! But you do scare me and. . . .and hurt me." As I said in a sob, his mouth twisted in surprise.

"I'm sorry for all those times and also. . . ." He spoke after an awkward pause. "And for Aron." He said as a dark expression crossed his handsome but now very injured face.

My mouth opened as I didn't expect him to bring the 'Aron topic' up.

"Shane please don't. . . ." I said but was cut off by Shane.

"It's my fault! Yes. It's me. I killed him! I did! Because I'm too fucked up to handle any fucking shit!" Shane said shouting as he ran his hands through his hair in exasperation.

"I don't want to talk about this Shane." I said turning away from him and an unbidden thought crossed my mind.

He killed Aron! It was due to his negligence and his over raged and unnecessary anger. He has the right to be ashamed.

"No listen to me! Tell me, say it it's my fault! Just fucking put me out of my misery Rachel please!" He said holding me tightly still not being able to control his anger.

The thought of my parents in fights played infront of my eyes and in fright I got scared as he shook me. I shut my eyes tightly and trembled.

"Rac. . . ." He said but then paused. "Rachel." He tone softened as his hands cupped my cheeks.

I wanted to cry and run away to a place where I could hide. My eyes still remained close.

"Open your eyes. Please." He said in almost a plead and I opened my eyes. "Did I scare you. . .again?" He asked with a wounded expression on his face.

I nodded slowly and he closed his eyes briefly as if trying to absorb the tantrum of our fight.

I was mad at him. Mad at him for being that mad all the time and then hurting and crushing everything in his way, whether it's my heart, my feelings, my respect or. . . .my son.

After a pause I spoke. "Shane just don't talk about my son right now." I spoke in hurt and my expressions gave away a no-nonsence look.

"My son? Our son Rachel." Shane snarled as he rolled his eyes at me.

Why the hell are you rolling your eyes at me? Don't you try to make me feel like I'm the one that's crazy!

"I said 'my son' because I am not used to saying 'our son' Shane. It was only me who was there. You weren't even there in the picture." I said in agitation and tears threatened my eyes.