Chapter 38: Sponsoring the 'Champion'

Y/N POV

After failing at recovering Captain Blade's lost treasure, I returned to the Crimson Enclave and resumed my duties leading the Crimson Lance Reborn.

Surprisingly, after the death of Handsome Jack, the Crimson Lance Reborn's military might and presence had increased drastically. We began recruiting Pandora citizens and even Bandits who wanted to join into our ranks. We had secured territory across Pandora, setting up outposts and roadblocks in various locations.

Once again I recruited two new Royal Guards after the last two were killed by the Leviathan. And I was now sat in my office, thinking about where the Vault Hunters may go next, to help my search I placed bounties on their heads to ensure the Bandit clans would keep a look out as well. You may be wondering why I was fixated on revenge and I'll tell you right now.

Firstly Roland, Lilith, Mordecai and Brick murdered my father. Then that second wave of Vault Hunters murdered Angel, I don't care it she helped them, I despised them greatly. But enough about that, I found out where they were the same way I found out almost everything here.

With a soldier bursting through my door.

This time I just sighed before looking up at him and asking "I trust you have something concerning the Vault Hunters and their whereabouts?" The soldier nodded eagerly and said "Yes! I know where one of them is!"

My eyes widened, after all one was better than none, "Well go on? Where are they?" The soldier responded "You remember that competition Mr Torgue was hosting not long ago to find the most 'badass' person on Pandora?"

I nodded as the soldier continued "Well, the top five rankings were revealed today and these were the results." He pushed a piece of paper in front of me which he clearly printed off a computer. It displayed the top five rankings which were as follows.

1: Piston

2: Flyboy

3: Motor Momma

4: Pyro Pete

5 Salvador the Vault Hunter

Now my eyes instantly landed on the bottom one. Even without the words 'Vault Hunter' I instantly knew Salvador was the short fat guy whom I knew all too well. Now that I thought about it deeper I remembered something from the initial advert.

Apparently the crater was where a Vault was located, to open it Pandora's champion would need to fill it the blood of the ultimate coward. The prospect of another Vault meant more potential Eridian artifacts for my collection.

I continued to give the idea more thought, since the tournament had begun, I couldn't enter MYSELF as a contestant however I could still sponsor one of the contestants already enrolled. I instantly knew I would need to ensure I sponsored the champion and at this time that was whomever Piston was.

I instantly made my way to the 'Badass Crater of Badassitude' Once there I found numerous bikers. In truth they were just your standard Bandits with different armor and riding bikes.

Image of a bike being rode by bikers:

They weren't too difficult however my objective was finding this Piston and I knew my best bet was to mercilessly kill these bikers until he took interest

They weren't too difficult however my objective was finding this Piston and I knew my best bet was to mercilessly kill these bikers until he took interest. And so my killing spree began. It took several dead bikers but eventually my plan worked.

I eventually got an Echo and heard a voice "I see what your doing to get my attention kid, and it worked. Why don't you come to these coordinates so we can talk." I noticed my waypoint had changed and upon following it I found a small encampment, after I killed more bikers I saw HIM.

A giant muscular man with a large metal pack on his back along with two arm cannons which were similar in the works to the ones used by Handsome Jack on Helios but these were much bigger and looked way different.

The man greeted me "Hey kid. Name's Piston. I'm bettin' you want a sponsor for this tournament. Well you've come to the right place. I'll take you under my muscular wing and we'll open that Vault together what do you say?"

Image of Piston:

I knew this guy was untrustworthy as a sponsor as I was already familiar with his scheme with Salvador which made me want to form an alliance with him even more

I knew this guy was untrustworthy as a sponsor as I was already familiar with his scheme with Salvador which made me want to form an alliance with him even more. He was the perfect pawn for me to use and then kill when he was no longer useful.

My response was as follows "Actually Piston, I have another offer, one I'm almost certain you won't regret." Piston looked at me "Go on. You've got the champ's attention. Make it quick."

I begun my explanation "I know about your little issue with the Vault Hunter currently ranked number five. Turns out that is something we share. So here's what I propose. I will instead sponsor you, we kill the Vault Hunter and open the Vault together and you can have whatever you want."

Piston thought about it and I added, "I can also upgrade your weapons with old Atlas technology, I'm sure you'll find that more useful that your current tech." Piston let out a chuckle "Heh heh. You know your stuff kid, I'll give you that. Fine. You have a deal. You've made a good choice sponsoring the Champ!"

I grinned and said "Oh I have no doubt about that." Now this is where one of my fondest memories came to be. How I single handedly manipulated Mr Torgue's tournament from the shadows in order to secure my own outcome.

Pity it didn't end the way I wanted it to.

Author's Note: That concludes Chapter 38 and the beginning of the Mr Torgue's Campaign of Carnage segment. After this I will do BRIEF Tales from the Borderlands/Fight for Sanctuary segments. I don't know how long they will be but they won't be long. I hope you enjoyed the chapter and as always, thank you for reading.