Chapter 22

"Of all the sad things I have ever heard, 'I used to be so happy' is the most heartbreaking of all."- Nikita Gill

Geneviève's POV.

The incessant knocking on my front door pulled me away from my melancholic thoughts as I grudgingly made my way through the tiny studio apartment. Wearily unlatching the bolts, I pulled it open as my eyes widened in shock.

"Stella!" I exclaimed in surprise firstly before self-loathing took over as she did a once over on my appearance.

There she stood, as out of place as ever against the pale yellow walls with its flaking paint in her designer coat and trendy boats snuggled tightly wrapped in Burberry cashmere and a flawlessly applied face. Gripping her purse like a shield against her, she audibly gulped as she stood flabbergasted on the threshold. Internally I winced imagining my appearance as the headache I had been battling the last couple of days pounded against my temples.

"Hello Geneviève." She said softly, "May I come in?" She questioned looking over her shoulder cautiously as though she believed she would have gotten robbed the very second.

Stepping away I wordlessly held the door open as she entered before locking it back.

"It's...cosy." She stated unbuttoning her coat as she placed her items onto the coffee table that had come with the apartment.

"I suppose it is." I absently replied looking around as if now finally seeing the place. The living room adjoined to the kitchen was small but neat with a narrow corridor leading to the one bedroom space with a smaller room a door down revealing a toilet and bath. It was clean, comfortable, furnished with mismatched décor and more than I could have asked for.

"Are you okay Gen?" She asked motioning for me to take a seat beside her on the pea green sofa.

Deeply sighing I plopped down, folding my legs under me as I nodded.

"It clearly doesn't look like you are." She replied, "It looks as though you have not slept or eaten anything in a week. Your eyes are bloodshot, a permanent frown is etched onto your face and when was the last time you brushed your hair?"

Has it only been a week since I left?

It felt more like twenty agonizing years as the empty feeling within me expanded brutally.

"How did you find me?" I asked.

"I called Calvin." She said, "I'm genuinely worried about you Gen...look at you."

Glancing at Stella and her Barbie like blond hair, and her twinkling bright blue eyes marred in worry, her cheeks rosy from the cold, I couldn't help but compare. The sinking feeling in my stomach threatened to pull me down further as her gaze peered into me.

"I'm sorry I can't look perfect like you all the time Stella." I snapped suddenly taking us both by surprise as her eyes widen in hurt.

"I'm far from perfect Geneviève." She said softly looking at me as tears misted her eyes.

"I'm sorry." I solemnly said, "I shouldn't have said that."

"Is that how you view me?" She questioned.

After a beat I nodded in response as she came closer clasping her hands in my much colder ones attempting to warm me up.

"I'm not." She said, "If I was perfect then I would have been a far better sister." She admitted as my eyes as similar to hers snapped up to clash with her as a lone tear trickled down her cheek, "I know what happened between you and Dillon all the years ago and I know why you went to him again this time...why didn't you stay?" She surprised me by asking.