Chapter 17

Starley

I compose myself and get out of the janitor's closet as I make my way to music class. He told me he loved me but why don't I feel happy? It was the only thing I longed to hear from him but something inside me feels empty, like it died.

I open the door to the classroom to be met by the same eyes I saw a few minutes ago, he's not paying attention, he's just on his phone typing away something. His face back to being cold and emotionless.

I was going to sit in another seat far away from him but my luck, yeah you guessed it, as always was bad.

Noel was calling me to sit beside him, which was next to Ace. The moment he hears my name his head lifts up and our eyes meet. The harshness in his gaze makes me stop in my tracks, it hurts me when he looks at me like that. The same feeling he had the last time I saw him.

I make my way to Noel and sit in between them. 

"I didn't know you were in music?" Noel says.

"Umm...I had to take extra classes for credit so I had to use this period." That's the dumbest excuse, but I couldn't tell him that the night of my accident the musical part of me died and I could never sit near a piano for too long.

"Oh." He says and I know Ace is listening to every word I'm saying.

"Which instrument do you play?" I ask him trying to change the subject.

"Guitar and drums." Wow. According to most people drums are easy and those people are dumb. Drums are one of the hardest instruments to play, it needs a lot of control and strength, it's not just hitting the thing but getting the musical beat.

"That's nice." I say.

"What about you?"

"Huh?" I ask, really not wanting to answer, If I tell him I know how to play almost all the instruments then he might ask me to play and I'm not ready to play.

Thankfully the teacher comes into the class and everyone quiets down. The moment I see the teacher, I felt like I knew him, something familiar like he was in my past but I can't make out who he is.

"Why does everyone look like my ex boyfriend after I told him I was going to break up with him?" He says.

"You guys got to cheer up, this is music not math." He says as everyone in the room giggles.

"Okay so who wants to play something?" 

A girl, who I don't know steps forward with a violin. Nice...I really loved the violin.

After she finishes playing a few more come play and I just listen, each of the music they play has some emotion in it, some have anger or sadness while the other are joyous.

"I didn't notice the new girl here." The teacher says as he smiles at me but there's confusion in his eyes like even I feel familiar to him but he can't out his finger on it.

"I'll just watch." I say trying my best not to got there.
"Come on, let's see what you've got." He says, god I'm going to humiliate myself so much. I make my way down to the instruments and something pulls me close to the piano like always.

I sit on the bench and my hand runs over the keys, the familiarity hits me. I try to start with a note but memories flood through me making me stop. The scariness, the betrayal, the ahtred, everything and I wanted it to stop.

Thankfully the bell rings helping me escape. 

"Nope, you stop right there." So fucking close to leaving this class.