Chapter 2

Sebastian

"Hey Bass" Jackson said as I entered the skate park.

I owned a pretty big skate park and skate store here in Florida, where people come to skate and to take skate lessons.

I started skating at 10 years old and I was pretty good at it. I have won competitions and when my mother died I decided to open the park with the money that she left me. And It's been awesome. This was my dream, my passion and business was doing pretty good.

I supported myself and my big mansion, and also Sylvie. I've never accepted any money from my dad. Not since my mom died.

I bumped fists with Jackson, a 16 year old kid that skates better than anyone I know. He helps me run the store and he gives skate lessons as well. He's one of those cool popular kids, so a lot of people that comes to the park is because of his popularity. Chicks dig him.

I saw our schedule for today and it was packed. I have lessons all day and people come here for recreation as well.

I was chillin with Jackson after a full round of lessons when my phone rang. It was my dad.

I didn't speak to him often. I was sure he was calling me to tell me when was he arriving for the holidays and wanted me to pick him up from the airport. That was the only time of the year that he came to Miami. On the holidays.

All our family lived here, my father had five brothers who all had a bunch of kids, except for my mom and dad, they only had me. I was an only child.

And the holidays were pretty big in our family. My aunt Rose throws a huge annual party on Christmas Eve. We were a big family, I have more than 15 cousins, 14 of them were boys and we only have one female cousin, and in the past we were all very close, we grew up together, went to the same school where we were very popular. No one messed with us, if you were a part of the Carter's family, you were respected in our high school. We were unreachable and untouchable.

We also had a pretty good genetic complexion, we all looked alike, with blonde hair and blue eyes, we were tall and muscular and very good at any sport. Some of us were good at soccer, some American football, and I was good at skating. Our cousin Rachel, the only female cousin in the family, was the most popular girl in school, the captain of the cheerleading team, and the meanest. Well that was a few years ago, she grew up nicely and got married to a lawyer, had kids and lived the American dream.

My cousins and me, grew apart over the years. We each went to different colleges and went to live to different parts of the country. And we only see each other at the anual Christmas party. I was one of the few who stayed in Florida.

I took a deep breath, I wasn't in the mood to take the call from my father.
"Hello father" I said with a serious tone.
"Sebastian, how are you?" He said with his deep voice.
"Great, great, everything is doing great" I said cheerfully.
"So I'll be there a day from tomorrow, would you pick me up?"
I knew it!
I laughed in the back of my mind.
"Sure, send me your arrival info and I'll be there"  I said.

A couple of hours later I received a call from my aunt Rose, who I forgot to tell, was Jim and Rachel's mother. Yes, Jim the one who was in the picture with Valerie, She wanted me to confirm for the party.

And I couldn't help but to think in the picture I saw in the morning.

Will Jim will be bringing Valerie to the party?
Where they serious enough for him to bring her?
Maybe they weren't together, maybe they were just friends.
The thought of seeing her haunted me that night.