Chapter 4

Sebastian

I went to pick off my father from the airport. I haven't seen him in a year. He looked a little older than last year. His hair was whiter, and his back was a little hunched. But his appearance was impeccable, as always, he was perfectly shaved and his expensive hand made suit made him look like a powerful man, not that he wasn't.
I took his luggage and threw it in the trunk of my black hummer.
"Hello son" he said as he got in the car and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"Hello father" I said.
"Are you ready for tonight?" I asked
"I'm never ready for that party son" he said with a smile.
I laughed
"neither am I " I said.

Aunt Rose's parties always ended bad. If it wasn't someone fighting, or someone offended by all the hard jokes my cousins made, was someone fighting, or some big scandal coming out, once someone really drunk puke all over the diner table.

It wasn't me but It was hilarious.

Aunt Rose's parties where intense.

I took my father home so he could say hi to Sylvie, he and Sylvie cared a lot for each other.

And then we head to the party.

Everyone was so nicely dressed, with tuxes and long shiny dresses. But me? Not at all I was always a ripped jeans, T-shirt and a hoodie kind a guy. I wasn't putting on a tux that's for sure, not even if I was going to the queen's royal palace. I didn't even shave my beard.

The line of cars was so long. I was getting a little anxious, and I got a little nervous about if Valerie was showing up or not. Actually I was feeling excited to see her, excited to see how was she going to react when she saw me. I imagined the whole thing in my mind, she was going to drop dead.

When we entered the house there was a waiter offering cocktails and taking our coats.

As every year, the house was nicely decorated, with Christmas ornaments all over the place. A huge Christmas tree surrounded with gifts and a diner table long enough to sit an entire country.

I spotted my cousins at the back. They were all laughing like crazy. I smiled, I was so happy to see them. And yeah, they were weird, but they were certainly fun.

"Hello Bass" Rachel hugged me, she was carrying her baby on one hand.
"Well, hello there" I said with a baby voice to her baby.
"Looking good rach" I said to her.
"Thanks, you couldn't put on a tie? What's that you're wearing?" she said pointing to my grey hoodie.
"It's Gucci" I said in a sarcastic way, I never dressed up with labels. Rachel and I laughed.

I kept walking to where my cousins were.
Everyone hugged me and then they slapped my head. It was something we did every time we saw each other.

We were all crazy, more when we were together. It wasn't easy being a part of us, we always make fun of everyone around us, telling hard jokes and slapping each other.

All my cousins were very rich and successful. Most of them went to work for our fathers, who they own together an investment firm all over the country. The had offices in New York, Houston, Washington and California.  Each brother was in charge of an office.

It was just me who rebelled myself and put on a business of my own. I didn't want to spend my life behind a desk, much less making numbers. I was awful at math. My dad didn't like it at first, but I didn't care, and he had to accept my life as it was. As I wanted to live it, as hard as it was for him.

I was a disappointment for him. His only son, not working for him. What a tragedy.

Some of my cousins were already married and some were living the sweet life, like me. Yeah, my life was sweet.