Chapter 13

Valerie

It was almost New Year.

Jim was holding me by the waist while he talked to one of his friends.

I tried to calm myself. I knew that Bass was here somewhere but I tried not to look for him.

And then people stated shouting

"10"
"9"
"8"
"7"
"6"
"5"
"4"
"3"
"2"
"1"
"HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!"

Just when I turned to kiss Jim, I saw him kneeling down and pulling out a box with a beautiful diamond ring.

Oh my god

It caught me by surprise.

"Valerie, Will you marry me??" Jim said with tears in his eyes.

The music and the screams of people were so loud that we couldn't hear each other.

I was in shock.

Before I could say anything, I raised my head looking for Bass, hoping that he didn't saw what just had happened. But my hopes were thrown down when I spotted him on the other side of the club watching me, watching Jim kneeling down.
His eyes were wide and traumatized.

I returned my head to Jim, who was still kneeled and waiting for my response.

I looked at him, at Jim, at my handsome love, I love him, and as in 5 days ago I wanted to grow old with him. And I still wanted that.

And we had plans, we were moving to Chicago, I already asked for my transfer at the newspaper and Jim and I were starting a life together. Bass was just a mistake, a remembrance and a closure from the past, and Jim was my future.

"YES!!" I shouted, Jim grabbed the ring and put it on my finger. He stood up and hugged me really hard. I tried not to look at the direction where Bass was, but I couldn't, I looked for him. He was still there watching us. With his wide sad eyes.
Jim kissed me. And I lost contact with Bass. And when I returned to see him, he was gone.
Everyone around us was clapping and congratulating us.

____________________________
Vote 🙏