Burnt out Candle (Drew x Jake)

~

I smile with joy as I gaze at the people who sat around the table, each staring at the cake with intent.
"Well blow it out will you!" Henry exclaims, eyeing the cake hungrily.
I chuckle softly, "Yeah yeah." I let out a puff of air, causing the candle to go out.
"Dig in!" Liam calls out, taking a slice for himself.
I eagerly take one for myself, still peering at the door that resides in the corner, I stand up, making my way towards it, no one of my friends battering an eye.
"Silly, the door is locked."
"How could I forget."
"Anyways." Jake plants a kiss on my forehead, "Enjoy your birthday." He ruffles my deep pink hair before walking off somewhere.
I grin to myself tenderly, letting the sensation of Jake's warm lips against my forehead remain in my head for eternity.

"Hey guys up for a round of uno!" I call out to Henry and Liam.
Both reply, still not gazing up from their slices of cake"Yeah sure!"

~

"Hey I bet you're both cheating!"
Henry smirks, "Nope!"
"I'm not either!" Liam beams.
"Yeah yeah, go die you cheaters!"
The duo's expressions dims, letting the room fall under a suffocating silence. Liam is the first to break the agonizing silence, "But Drew we're already dead."
Henry quirks a brow, "You don't remember?"

And then it all came back.

The feeling of the knife in my trembling hands as I let the knife plunge deep into my best friend's stomach, blood pouring out from the wound as it dripped down the gleaming knife. Their cries of pain as I watched menacingly as they let themselves bleed out, letting out blood curdling screams. How I sat them around the table, slicing my beloved birthday cake with the blood stained knife, how I pulled at their lips and sewed it into a permanent smile with a thread and needle. The way I smiled with joy as I moved onto my darling Jake, slitting his neck as I danced around the candle, the way his eyes quivered with fear as my hands gripped his own.

I had been trapped in my own mind, hallucinating that they were always alive, that I didn't drive them to their death. I was in a locked room of my hand crafted illusions, locking myself from the outside world. Letting this showcase of illusions, repeat and repeat showing no end.

An almost burnt out candle still burns brightly. Drip drop.... went the gasoline. Tick tock went the running out time. I bubble into maniacal laughter as this whole world gets engulfed by ravenous flames.

~