Mama's Girl

Suki woke up to the sound of sniffling at her door. She sat up and glanced at the clock. It was almost one in the morning, "Hello?" She called out softly.

"Mama?" A little crying voice said.

"Yu Yu? Is that you baby?"

Yukari sniffed, "Yes."

Suki tossed her blanket aside and walked to the door to sit down next to Yukari. Suki lifted the little toddler into her lap and started to hug her and stroke her hair to calm her, "Baby girl, what's the matter?" She asked softly, not wanting to spike Yukari's anxiety.

She looked up at Suki and sniffed, "I had a bad dweam. And A-and I miss daddy."

Suki's face saddened, "Aww baby." She hugged Yukari to her chest and placed her lips on her forehead as the little toddler cried.

Sokka had left just a few days before on an ambassador trip to the Fire Nation Capitol with Aang and Zuko. A year after the girls were born, Sokka started doing his work away from home like he did prior which meant that he had to leave the house a couple times a year for weeks at a time because duty calls. Yumie had gotten used to Sokka being away. She understood the basics of why he had to leave and understood that he'd always come back before she knew it. Sure, she missed Sokka too but it didn't bother her as much as it did for Yukari.

Since Yukari was born, her and Sokka had a special bond. Sokka loves both of his girls equally but Yukari always needed extra attention due to her medical issues and social anxiety. Since she was a baby, she clung to Sokka as a support system and protection from things that made her scared or worried. Whenever he had to leave it was always a routine of her crying for him to not go, pulling him back into the house, screaming, hugging, kisses, and thirty minutes or more of him explaining to her that he had a very special mission to the world and that the world needs him. She'd let him leave but not without clinging to him and crying for an hour which was always a painful thing for him and Suki to see and watch.

Suki cradled the back of Yukari's head and rested her chin on top of her dark auburn head of hair. She felt a tear slide down her own face as she listened to her baby cry. This happened everytime Sokka left for days at a time and if she was being honest, she was tired.

"Baby, please stop crying." Her voice cracked as she said this.

"I-" she hiccuped, "m-miss" she coughed and clutched Suki's nightgown in her fist, "d-daddy." She whined and sobbed into Suki harder.

Suki tightened her grip on Yukari and tried to contain herself, "Daddy will be back very soon baby girl." Suki tried to contain herself, "What if we telephone daddy? We can see if he'll pick up."

Yukari looked up at her wide-eyed and began to smile. She nodded her head and Suki stood up and carried her to the telephone in their room. She spun the little wheel around and dialed the phone in the Fire Nation palace.

After a few moments, someone picked up. "Hello, this is the residency of Fire Lord Zuko, Fire Lady Mai, and Princess Izumi. Who's speaking." said one of the palace staff.

"Hello! Um. I know it's late but I'm Ambassador Sokka of the Southern Water Tribe's girlfriend, Suki, um, I used to be Zuko's head bodyguard until Ty Lee took over. My boyfriend is there on ambassador buisiness in regard to the development of Cranefish Town. My daughter would love to speak to Sokka if that's a possibility right now."

"Is it urgent? I think he's asleep."

"If you could wake him up. Tell him it's Yukari. He'll wake up."

"Okay Madame. One moment." The staff transferred the line to Sokka's room and he picked up.

"Hello?" He said groggily.

"Sokka!" Suki said with a hint of excitement. If she was being honest, she missed him too.

"Hi love!" He said, waking up a bit, "is everything alright?"

Suki sighed, "No babe. Yukari woke me up for the fourth night in a row. She misses you."

Sokka was quiet for a moment, "Is she awake? Can you put her on the phone?"

Suki brought the phone to Yukari's ear, "Daddy?" She said quietly.

"Hi baby!" He said.

Yukari instantly lit up and started to chatter with Sokka. Suki watched her and smiled but as she did her heart sank a bit. She wished that Sokka would be home more often not just for the girls but for her also. Yes, she knew it was a selfish thought when the world needed him more but they needed him too.

"And and Mie Mie and me play kimoshi wawwior!" Yukari exclaimed.

"Did you now?"Sokka replied with a chuckle.

"Yes! I was mama in da game daddy!"

"Were you now?" He replied, engaged.

Yukari giggled, "Yes daddy! Because mama da best kimoshi wawwior!" Yukari looked at Suki and smiled. Suki tickled her neck and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Baby, you need to sleep now. Maybe you can talk to daddy a different day." Suki said quietly.

Yukari frowned and started to tear up, "Mama..." she whined.

"I know baby. I miss daddy too. But daddy needs to sleep so he can change the world."

Yukari sniffled, "Otay..." She brought the phone closer to her ear, "Daddy, I have to say nigh nigh." She informed him sadly.

"Aww baby, don't cry." Sokka said with a hint of sadness in his voice. Suki could tell his heart was shattering.

Yukari sniffed, "I miss you daddy. Come home soon."

"I will baby. Just one more week. Okay?"

"Otay." Yukari said sadly, "I miss you daddy."

"I know baby. I miss you too. But can you do something for daddy?"

"What?"

"I want you to spend time with Mama and Yumie so you can feel better. Before you know it, I'll be home. And we can go get Earthberry Sorbet with Mie Mie! How does that sound?"

Yukari sniffed and smiled, "Can't wait!"

Sokka chuckled, "Okay lemur bat. Daddy needs to sleep and you do too." He kissed the phone so she could hear him kiss her goodnight, "I love you baby. I'll be home soon. Be a good girl, okay?"

"Otay daddy," Yukari kissed the phone, "I wuv you daddy."

"I love you too Yu Yu. Bye bye!"

"Bye." The toddler said sadly.

She handed the phone to Suki, who had tears in her eyes, and frowned. Suki brought the phone to her ear, "Hi babe."

"Hi love."

"I miss you too. Please come home soon."

"I will. I miss you too, Suki. I can't wait to come home. I love you."

"I love you too." Suki sighed.

"Goodnight baby." Sokka whispered

"Goodnight pretty boy."

And with that Suki put the phone down and looked at Yukari who had settled down a bit.

She tucked Yukari's hair behind her ear and smiled at her, "Do you feel better baby girl?"

She nodded, "Yes mama."

"Do you wanna sleep with mama tonight? Would you like that baby?"

Yukari looked up at her and nodded.

Suki smiled and carried her to her and Sokka's bed and laid down. She pulled the blanket over them and kissed Yukari's forehead. The little. three-year-old inched closer to Suki and cuddled herself into her. As she drifted she whispered, "I wuv you mama."

Yukari began to snore lightly and Suki hugged her closer and kissed her forehead as a single tear fell from her eye, "I love you so much my little ray of moonlight." She rubbed Yukari's back and whispered, "Daddy will be back soon. I promise. For now, mama is here."
————