My Hero!

"Yukari, who is your report on?" Satoru asked.

Yukari smiled and showed him the picture and speech, "My daddy."

"Cool, I'm doing my sister!"

Today was hero day at Republic City elementary. From each class, grades kindergarten-fifth grade, two children were picked to do a report every year on the biggest hero in their life. The hero could be a real person or a fictional character. Yukari chose her dad.

"Okay! Next we have Yukari from Mrs.Moon's first grade class! Come up Yukari."

Satoru gave Yukari a thumbs up and she walked up the stage with her paper. Sokka tapped Katara, "Katara! Take a picture! Take a picture!"

"Shh! Okay! I will!"

Sokka leaned over to Suki and nudged her, "Doesn't she look cute in her little dress and the blue bow! I did the bow Suki! I did her hair!"

Suki chuckled and shushed him, "Babe, she's starting. Be quiet."

Principal Raiko slid a step stool for Yukari so she could reach the microphone. Yukari looked out across the crowd and started to grow shy. She saw Sokka, Suki, and Katara and they waved at her and gave her a thumbs up. Yukari inhaled and exhaled and took the microphone, "Hello! My name is Yukari and I am six years old!" She paused and looked at the crowd again and started to feel her palms sweat. She looked over at Sokka and he pointed at him signaling her to focus on him. "My hero is my daddy."

Suki smiled and shook his shoulder, "Aww! Sokka! You hear that?!" Sokka smiled and Yukari continued.

"My daddy is named Sokka and he works at City Hall as a councilman. He helps make the city a good place to live!" Yukari smiled at Sokka and continued, "Daddy was fifteen and sixteen when he fought in the 100 Year War and he battled by Avatar Aang's side with all his best friends to defeat Firelord Ozai!" The crowd oooed. Yukari stood there and looked at her paper to figure out what to say next, "Daddy is from the Southern Water Tribe! He left home and traveled the world with Auntie Kat, Uncle Aang, Auntie Toph, Uncle Zuzu, and mama. Daddy was a friend to all people and fought bad guys!" Yukari looked up from her paper and looked at Sokka who was crying.

"Suki, I'm so proud of her!"

Suki smiled and leaned into his shoulder, "I know baby."

Yukari continued, "Daddy is a hero to the wholeeeee world!"

She giggled out of nervousness and the assembly awwed over how cute she was.

She smiled at Sokka and said, "But he is my hero because when I grow up I want to be just like him!" Sokka smiled at her and she beamed back, "When I grow up, I want to be brave, kind, funny, strong, and loving like daddy so I can be a friend to everyone and help make people smile and make the world a better place!"

Everyone clapped at the end of her speech and Yukari bowed and hopped off the step stool.

After every single kid went,  the assembly and school day was over. Sokka, Suki, and Katara searched the crowd for their kids as parents and students were packed together like sardines in a tin.

"Mama!" Yumie ran up to Suki and hugged her.

Suki picked her up and nuzzled her nose to her cheek, "Hi baby! Where's your sister?"

"I don't know. But she did awesome! Right daddy?" Yumie reached out to Sokka and bonked his head.

Sokka laughed and tickled her neck, "Yes Mie Mie. She did great!"

Yukari wandered the hall in search of her family with her paper clutched to her and her backpack on her back. She saw Sokka chatting with his coworker from City Hall and ran up to him, "Daddy!"