Fire with Fire

"Who are you? Oh wait, Lady Suki. Hello!" said one of the guards

Suki smiled sadly, "Yes, Mai sent an airship to get us."

"I'll go get her. Wait here."

Yumie looked up at the Fire Nation Palace and clutched her turtle duck stuffie. She's never been outside of Kyoshi Island so this was a change for sure.

Yukari rocked back and forth on her heels and tugged at Suki's tunic, "Mama?"

"Yes baby?" She said quietly.

"We stay here? "

"Yes baby." Suki stroked her head as the child processed.

"What 'bout daddy?" She asked innocently.

Suki's heart shattered, "Forget about daddy for now baby."

"But mama..." she whined, "What 'bout daddy!?"

Suki felt herself tear up. She crouched down to meet her level and hold her shoulders, "Daddy is...okay...um," She thought about her words. This could make or break the girls, especially Yukari, "Daddy and Mommy... need time to think. Because...we do."

"How long?" Yumie asked with her violet eyes staring straight into her soul

Suki bit her lip, "I don't know. Um-"

"Suki?"

Suki looked up and smiled. It was Mai. She went up to Mai and hugged her which Mai, to her surprise, took warmly, "You poor thing. Come inside. We have dinner ready and Ty Lee is here." Mai looked at the twins and cracked a smile out of herself. She crouched down, "Hey kids. I haven't seen you two since you were newborns. I'm Auntie Mai." Mai held her hand out for shaking and Yumie took it shyly. Yukari on the other hand hid behind Suki's leg and peaked her eyes out to stare at Mai, "Is she shy?"

"Yeah." Suki said, patting Yukari's head.
——————-
"So you and Sokka fought?" Zuko asked casually.

Mai shot him a look, "Zuko."

"Sorry. I'm not good at you know."

Suki took a sip of water and picked at her food, "It's fine."

They chatted and Izumi looked over at Yukari who was seated next to her not eating her food, "Hi. I'm Izumi." She held her hand out for shaking and Yukari stared at her. She took it back, "Do you like ice cream?"

Yukari looked at her sadly,  "My daddy makes us ice cream."

"Oh" Izumi said with her awkwardness resembling Zuko's, "Umm," She thought for a moment, "I can get us some. You can bring your sister."

"Okay." Yukari smiled a little at Izumi.

"Oh but first, what's your name? I only know that your Uncle Sokka's daughter." For a nearly six year old, Izumi sure knew how to talk to people. Must be a princess thing.

"Yukari." Yukari bit her lip, "You can call me Yu Yu. It's showrter."

"That's a pretty name, Yukari. Okay Yu Yu! We can be friends and go get ice cream. Mother?"

"Yes Izzie?" Mai said using her nickname.

"Mother, I don't like that nickname." Izumi frowned.

"Sorry sweetheart. What is it?"

"Can my new friend and I and her sister go get ice cream from the cook."

"Sure thing. Be back for bed at 8pm."

"Okay." Izumi held her hand out to Yukari to help her off the chair since it was pretty high. She took it and the three girls went to go get ice cream.

"That kid has great speaking skills." Suki remarked.

"She takes after me. Not Zuko." Mai chuckled and Zuko frowned.

"Mai, you're so mean!"

They playfully bickered at each other and Suki couldn't help but feel a little sad. It reminded her of her and Sokka back when things were more...simple.
———
Republic City: Toph and Kanto's Apartment
"Well if it isn't meathead-" Sokka hugged Toph and started to cry. "Umm." She patted his back.

"Can I stay here with you and Kanto? Please."

"Uh sure come in."

"Thank you best friend." Sokka smiled at her even though she couldn't see him.

She patted his back, "Anytime buddy."
———
Sokka and Toph sat at the table awkwardly. She could feel that he wasn't okay, "So, why you crashing here?"

"I fought with Suki." He said quietly.

"Was it bad? I mean it had to be bad. She kicked you out." Toph took a sip of water.

"She left the house with the girls. I have no clue where she is." Sokka said picking at his nails.

Toph inhaled sharply, "Yikes um. Well you can crash here. You should probably call Katara. She could help-"

"No. I'm too embarrassed. That's why I came here." Sokka rested his forehead to the table and groaned. "I fucked up Toph. She said she's tired of me not being home all the time."

Toph stood up and rested her hand on his shoulder, "Hey." She squeezed his shoulder affectionately, something she rarely did, "You can do this. Just spend time here to sort your shit out."

"Thanks Toph."
—————————