Fighting the Past Together

Mild TW: Panic from war trauma (PTSD)
————-
Sokka was on his way home from work when he heard a loud explosion nearby. He heard one and then another. His heart began to race and his head started to pound. And then he was running. He ran and ran. He felt his lungs tighten as another boom went off. Was it in his head? Was the third explosion real.

"Sokka," Suki looked up from the table and rushed over to Sokka, "Sokka, what's"

Sokka hugged her tightly and started to cry, "Suki." He pulled her to the couch and sat them down.

Suki held his face and calmed him down, "Sokka, shhhh, calm down. Calm down baby." She hugged him and he buried his head into her shoulder.

"S-Suki."

"Talk to me Sokka. Just talk." She whispered.

Sokka looked at her and started to cry more. When he heard that sound, ear deafening sound, his body was sent into a chilling shock. All he could think of was her and how his life, Toph's, and Suki's was so dangerously close to being taken away. It was like he was pinned to the metal of the ship again, dangling for his life, as the fire exploded below him.

"Sokka," Suki laid him down in her lap and stroked his face, "You're okay baby. You are okay." She wiped his face and gave him her gentle, sweet, and comforting smile. Sokka reached up to touch her face. To feel if she was there. She didn't even know why he was crying but she knew that she needed to be there for him. He held his arms out and she hugged him again, "Talk to me baby." She kissed his cheekbone and looked at him, ready to listen.

"Well..." Suki encouraged him with a gentle smile and he felt safe, "I know I act like I'm okay most of the time...and I am! But sometimes whenever I'm out and about in the city I'll hear a big explosion or creaking from construction...just something loud. And I freak out..."

"Aww baby." Suki hugged his head to her chest and left little kisses on the top of his head.

"Kyoshi was so...quiet. Since we moved here,  there's been so much...noise. It just reminds me of all the damn explosions I saw and heard during the war and...remember on the airships when Toph and I were..."

"Yeah, I do."

"Well...whenever I hear loud metal creaking or smoke goes up into my lungs. It sends me right back Suki." He sat up and leaned his head into her shoulder, "I know it's dumb and over with"

"Hey," she turned to face him and shook her head, "It's not dumb. All of us. The Gaang. We all feel like this from time to time. Even when we feel better the...trauma... can resurface."

"Suki?"

"Hmm?"

"What about you? Do you ever have moments like these."

Suki stared at the wall, "Yeah," she sighed and looked at him, "I do."

"About what?"

"Many many things Sokka. Especially what they did to me at prison. I'm sure you've noticed the things I avoid. I only let certain people hug me. You, Katara, the Warriors, and the kids."

"I'm sorry Suki."

She patted his head, "But I'm relearning that hugs and stuff aren't scary. It's hard but I'm learning. The relearning started with you actually."

"Really?"

"Mmhm." Suki cuddled into him and Sokka leaned back to lie down, "You taught me that being hugged, kissed, and touched is...okay. I trust you because I know you would never ever hurt me."

"I'm glad," Sokka smiled and rubbed her hair, "Real glad."

"And," she propped up to look at him, "Here in the city, we're pretty much safe here. Zuko and Aang have taken care of a lot of the world's problems. It's time for us to relax for once and just live."

"You're right." Sokka smiled, "Thank you Suki. You're the best. I mean that."

"Thank you." Suki started to feel sleepy as he mindlessly played with her hair. It was something he'd picked up over their years together and she loved it. "I'm always here for you Sokka. I got your back. That's my job. To protect you."

"Me too."

They cuddled there in silence for a moment.

"You know, Suki, there's one good thing that came out of the war besides it ending."

"Hmm?" She hummed nuzzling herself deeper into him.

Sokka smiled gently and nuzzled his face into the top of her head, "I got to meet and fall in love with you."