The Metaphor of the Serpent

"Mama, tell us a stowy! Pwease!" Yukari crawled up to Suki and pressed her chubby cheek to her stomach and looked up at her sweetly.

"It's getting late! And you and Yumie need to sleep in your own-"

"Mama, please!" Yumie crawled up to Suki and squished her face, "Please mama?"

Suki couldn't resist, "Oh-alright. Fine!"

"Yay!" The girls cheered and snuggled up to Suki on either side.

"Okay hmmm. Oh! I know! You wanna hear the story about how we got Yumie's name?"

"Yeah!" Yumie squeaked and Yukari nodded.

"Okay! Cuddle close!" The girls giggled and Suki smiled at them, "So daddy and I met on Kyoshi Island right?"

"Yes!" They replied.

"Good! Okay so Daddy and I didn't see each other for five months! That's a long time!"

"Wow!" Yukari sighed.

"One day when mama was being a security guard at Full Moon Bay with the Kyoshi Warriors, daddy and team avatar were there. Can you guess what mama did when she saw daddy again?"

"You kissed him!" Yukari chirped.

Yumie sat up and raised her hand, "YOU PUNCHED HIM!" She giggled and toppled back onto Suki.

Suki stifled her laughter and pinched Yumie's face and tapped Yukari's head, "Well you girls aren't 100% wrong!" They giggled and Suki continued, "I grabbed daddy and scared him! Daddy didn't recognize me because I didn't have my makeup."

"Den what happen?" Yukari looked at her engaged and wide-eyed.

Suki chuckled and rubbed her hair, "I kissed daddy on the cheek!"

Yukari squealed and Yumie blew her tongue, "Not on the lip mama? Boo!!!"

Suki chuckled at the memory, "Well mama didn't know if daddy liked her. I had a crush on daddy for so long but I didn't know if he liked me back!"

"Tell more!" Yukari pulled.

"Okay!" She smiled at them and continued. She went on to tell them about how Sokka hugged her when she was having bad dreams, how Sokka and her faced the Serpent, and how she saved Toph and Toph accidentally kissed her cheek. The girls listened intensely and giggled and gasped at the details Suki put in.

"So after we defeated the Serpent with Auntie Toph, Auntie Katara, and Uncle Aang, me and daddy talked. I said sorry to daddy because I thought I made him sad when we were talking in front of the moon."

"Primcess Yue mama?" Yukari yawned and nuzzled herself into Suki and began to drift.

Suki smiled, "Yes baby, Princess Yue."

"Daddy girwlfwiend before you?" Yumie asked as her eyes drooped.

"Yes baby. So while mama was talking," Suki yawned and rubbed Yumie's back, "Daddy kissed mama on the lips for the first time ever and then daddy asked mama to be his girlfriend!"

"Wow!" They sighed.

"So what bout my name, mama?" Yumie said sleepily.

Suki rubbed her hair softly, "We named you after where we fell in love baby. Yumie means Serpent."

"Wow." She said as she drifted closer into sleep.

After a few seconds, the two toddlers were asleep. Suki chuckled, "So much for sleeping in your own room." She placed a kiss on their heads, "I love you my sweet angels." She leaned over and blew out the candle and fell asleep herself.

An hour later, Sokka came back from helping Akari and Shoyo fix up their house since some of the structures were getting weak. The house was abnormally quiet as he walked through. It was only 10pm. "Suki!?" No answer.

He walked by their bedroom and heard soft snoring. Sokka walked over to the bedside table and lit the candle. The fire brought a soft, warm glow to the room and revealed Suki asleep with Yumie and Yukari. Sokka chuckled and brought his hand to each of their faces, "My girls." He whispered with a smile.

Sokka changed out of his labor clothes and slipped in bed next to Yukari. He gave her a kiss on the side of her head, then Yumie, then Suki, and laid down to cuddle all three of them. He smiled and looked up to admire them. Everything he did. All those days away from his family. All those days where him and Suki fought and made up. All those days the girls fought and it was a struggle to parent. All those nights when he was away missing them. It was all worth it. Everything he did was for his kids and to make Suki proud. They were his world and his serpent. Serpent meaning the loves of his life.