(27)

Tw: Mentions of drug abuse and homophobia

Kuroo's POV

"You... what?" I could practically feel the fear running through my body. Knowing my brother there was no way I could persuade him it wasn't what it looked like when it most certainly was.

"You should see the look on your face." He laughed and as he looked at my face which probably looked petrified. I don't know why he's laughing when we both know how my parents will react to this. "Calm down Tetsuro I wasn't going to tell mom and dad anything." What? Both my brother and my sister were loved by my parents so I assumed they'd rat on me for sure. "And I won't tell Miko either you know how she is."

"So you... don't care?" My brother was never outwardly homophobic, I just assumed he was because my parents and my sister were. Maybe it was wrong to jump to conclusions but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

"I mean statistically speaking gay relationships tend to last longer than straight ones and they also tend to be healthier." That's right. My brother is a fact orientated person who also didn't care about things that didn't affect him. Since my being gay isn't necessarily affecting him nor can any facts prove it's wrong he simply accepts it and moves on. "I'd be more carefully bringing that boy around though." He went back to his work and spoke to me without looking up from his endless pages. I don't know how he didn't get bored of all this work but I suppose we each have our own enjoyments.

"Yeah." He was right again, if anything slipped in front of my parents I'd probably be thrown out.

"I just wanted to give you advice. Play their game, graduate from a good college, and then your home free. Or tell them now, get thrown out, and have no one to pay for your college tuition." Figures all my brothers focused on right now is school, that's all he's ever focused on. I seriously don't know how he got a girlfriend, today's the rare day they actually hangout.

"I know, I know." I began to make my way towards the door to leave his room before stopping and turning back to him. He didn't look up at me but instead kept his steady gaze on the work below him. "Thanks." He didn't respond so again I began to walk out the door before he stopped me.

"Tetsuro." I hummed in response, he finally looked up at me. "What's his name?" My brother has literally never cared about my friends or anything about my life before, so seeing him care now sort of made me happy. It felt like I at least had one person in my family living amongst the strangers.

"Kenma."

"Treat him well." He smiled at me and I smiled back leaving his room for good this time and heading back to my own. I couldn't be more thankful it was him who saw us and not my sister or my parents. That would've been a shit show.

-

The remainder of this week, the weekend, and next week flew by quickly. Midterms kept us all busy, for the most part that is. Kenma and I still found time to sneak away from work and hangout at the cafe or the rink. It was nice to see him warming up to me much more quickly, plus I was enjoying our habit of walking home hand in hand.

Like usual, I watched him skate almost every day that week despite my exams approaching, I brought books to study at the rink but I never ended up reading them. I always got distracted watching Kenma.

My last midterm was today meaning I could stop devoting my time to studying. Not only that but the winter weather was beginning to break and spring was starting the peak through bringing warmer weather, sunnier days, and grass which has been buried under snow for a while.

Currently it was Thursday and Suga and Oikawa had made plans to hangout after school, of course inviting me as well. I would've ditched them for Kenma, but his mom was over since she couldn't come on her usual Wednesday. According to him, she actually has been getting better. I remember how shocked he was the first day she visited him without being high. Although her withdrawal symptoms are bad, at least that's what he tells me. However, if his mom really was getting better then why were there still bruises hidden on him. I'd seen a few but didn't bring it up since I figured it was from his mom. But now that she's getting better I felt safe assuming it was a result of kids from school.