Obliviate

It was a blessing that Narcissa allowed you to stay at the manor during Christmas because the idea of even seeing your father made your skin crawl. She of course wouldn't let you sleep in the same room, because according to her that's inappropriate. You didn't try and fight her, but Draco did. You were just happy to not have to see your father everyday.

You did see him however during every meeting, you consider yourself lucky he seemed to be avoiding you just as much. He wouldn't even give you a sideways glance as you and Draco walked into the dining room at the meeting on Christmas eve. Tomorrow Bellatrix and Greyback would go in hunts for Potter at the Weasley burrow where they suspected the order was all hiding out to spend the holiday. Bellatrix, as usual, seemed all too pleased to be sent into the field of battle. She craved the action. The blood. It was curious to see, her madness.

"Your mum spends a lot of time here alone doesn't she?" You asked Draco once the rest of the death eaters left and you could finally be alone with one another. Narcissa had made her own way from the room, fading away into the darkness like she always seemed to.

"My aunt stays here, so she's not completely alone"

"Imagine having a sibling" you sighed. "To have someone like that. Do you ever wish you weren't an only child?"

"No" he answered quickly, "It's one thing to live the life I did alone. It's another to have to watch someone else live it too"

"Well," you grabbed his hand, pulling it to you "I am here now" he wrapped his hand back around yours, thinking for a moment before he replied.

"I hate that you're here. That I have to worry every single day that you will be his next victim" he pulled your hand so you were closer to him. "I hate watching you hurt... Most days I wish I could open my eyes and all of this would be gone"

"Including me?"

"Never you." he pressed his lips to your forehead. "You're the only thing I would keep"

Had you never known them before all of this, you may wonder if this is how they always celebrated Christmas? Draco in his black suit, and Narcissa in her beautiful dresses seemingly ignoring the holiday altogether, not a single gift or ornament. You knew however this was nothing like it had been, The Manor once upon a time would have been ornate with lights, a tree so tall you could barely make out the top of it if it weren't for a beautiful star that always lit it. With garland on every railing and candles littering every fireplace and table, smells of always baking pastries and a massive dinner for the small few people they would invite to dinner. The last time you had seen them celebrate anything was Draco's 14th birthday, a few short weeks before the Dark Lord was brought back.

Life wasn't perfect before that, the Malfoy family had its flaws. It's own skeletons. But it was easier... better.

"Happy Christmas" you whispered to Draco as the rest of the table waited for Bellatrix and Greyback to return.

"Is that today?" he shook his head, these breaks back home seemed to melt into any chance you could get to be alone. The rest was just staring at random wall fixtures and being as quiet as you could manage.

"I got you something" you whispered, hoping the chattering at the rest of the table would hum out your words. You could tell in this he was trying hard not to smile, needing to seem as strong and emotionless as possible.

"Later" he nodded as the room fell silent again. The Dark Lord walked back into the room from wherever he had been wandering. The Manor a lot of the times had become his own, especially now with Lucius gone. You knew that was one of the main reasons Draco hated coming home, and why he hated you being here. Even breathing wrong at times could send The Dark Lord into a fit of rage. Like you were always walking around landmines, maybe even more dangerous.