Plan B

It was only a few weeks later when you thought of it. He had seen Slughorn buying a bottle of sweet mead from a shop in Hogsmeade shortly after Christmas. You could only imagine who it was meant for, Draco wouldn't like it. So you had to work fast.

Luckily the same store sold other things in the exact same bottles, nonalcoholic so you could purchase them, and get it gift wrapped in the exact same bottle.

All you would need is poison, luckily you knew exactly where to get some or make some that is.

Draco was sound asleep when you got up, forgoing putting on shoes so as not to make noise as you slipped from the room. Professor Sprout always locked the greenhouse, but left windows open on the far side to let some cooler air in for the Tentacula, it was more than easy for you to slip in.

You imagined Sprout would place the root rotten mandrake she was nursing back to health alone on a shelf near the back of the greenhouse, and she did. It all was working far too perfectly.

You were placing the silencing spell when you heard someone coming in, you ducked quickly to under a table near you. Hiding in the dark, dimming your wand.

As you watched Neville wandered into the room, his own wand lighting the room. You casted a Disillusionment Charm as he started walking towards where you hid, the last thing you needed was for Neville to see you in here after all the questions he had been asking. What was he doing?

As he grabbed a small mister he went around and sprayed down the tentacular leaves. Of course, they were incredibly difficult plants that needed constant attention. As he passed by them, you could help but smile as he snipped a few of the leaves tucking them into his pocket. They did go for a few galleons to the right buyer.

You tried hard not to make any noise, but watching Neville breaking the good guy code and stealing a few leaves made a small snicker escape your lips. He stopped suddenly, shifting his wand around the room. You called your hand over your mouth, halting your breathing entirely.

He rushed away then, nearly dropping the watering spout as he did. Once you heard the gentle clicking of the door, you went back to work. Silencing the single Mandrake would be easy work for you, you waved your wand over it's only sized pot. Glancing to a wall near you, maybe it would be safer just to put some muffs on.

You grabbed a pair and pulled them into place, adult mandrakes were deadly and you weren't sure how old this mandrake was.

You reffed it from its dirt, making a rather big mess as it started shaking and sprawling its little rooted limbs around. The scream it let out, thought quiet was still there. Thank Merlin you had put the muffs on, the mandrake seemed young enough anyway that it shouldn't kill you had you heard it. You managed to take all that you needed in the form of rotted root, placing it in a small vial you had brought with you, you couldn't risk getting this on your skin. So you wore a pair of dark gloves, something you could easily get rid of. Just as you tucked the vial away and pushed the now slightly louder Mandrake back into its pot your beard a crashing noise. You turned suddenly to see someone laying on the floor, fuck.

You repotted the plant as fast as you could manage, cleaning what you could and throwing the rest onto the already dirty floor. Close enough.

As you went to leave all you could do was hope that whoever had come in hadn't recognized you under the cloak you wore. You stepped over to the figure, who was knocked out by the screaming noises of the adolescent mandrake.

"Neville?" You shook your head, of course he'd come back in here. He forgot to turn on the heat lamps for the Gillyweed. You looked down at him as he lay there, his eyes closed like he was simply sleeping.

You for a second thought about just leaving him here, he was of course allowed to be in here so it shouldn't be an issue. Except... he had probably 5 galleons worth of stolen tentacular leaves in his pocket. Fuck.

Neville was far larger than you were, so it's not like you could pick him up, maybe dragging him was the beat option? No... still too heavy. AH!

"wingardium leviosa" you whispered, waving your wand gently over his body. He luckily floated, not very high by enough that you could move him through the open greenhouse door behind him.

Where on earth should you even take him? Closest classroom it is. That way he could wake up and find his way back to the Gryffindor common room hopefully without Filch finding him.

You pulled the green door right behind you, locking it with the key Neville held in his hand. Had you known all they used was a key you wouldn't have wasted your time sneaking in through a window.

You set Neville down gently on the floor of the dark classroom, lighting the room then with your wand.

You granted at the clock in the corner, you'd better be going Draco was one for nightmares so if he had awoken you couldn't be gone for long. Even now if he was awake you'd have to find an excuse.

As you went to leave you stopped, glancing back at Neville as he continued to sleep on the floor. What if he were out until tomorrow and they brought him to Pomfrey?

"Ugh Longbottom you moron" you walked back to him, nearing by him. You patted his face a few times. "Neville" you whispered "Neville" you spoke a little louder. He eyes started to open groggily. "Wake up"

"What? Y/n what are you doing in my room? Am I dreaming again?" He reached his hand to his face, wiping his eyes.

"You're not dreaming. I found you in the hallway all knocked out and pulled you in here so you wouldn't get in trouble" you were thankful you were a very good liar.

"I was just.." he sat up, shaking his head. "Wait. What are you doing roaming the castle this late?"

Of course he would ask that, he was a prefect after all. And given special permission by Sprout to be out and caring for the plants.

"I couldn't sleep..." you stood, holding your hand out to him.

"You shouldn't be out of your room. It's well past curfew"

"I know I'm sorry. I just like looking at the lake when it's dark out" that part though not true now, wasn't a lie. "I just wanted to be alone" you shook your head as he stood without taking your hand.

"Yeah. I imagine you don't get a lot of alone time with that boyfriend of yours." He wiped away from dirt from his pajama pants.

"What's that supposed to mean?" You asked

"I'm just saying. This is the first time I think I've seen you without him since break"

"Okay? He's my boyfriend, of course we spend time together." You stopped yourself "I don't know why I'm explaining myself to you"

"I'm just saying. Doesn't seem healthy is all"

"You don't know my life Longbottom. Don't be such an ass"

"An ass would bring you to Snape and report you for wandering the halls this late. I'm just being honest because I thought we were friends"

You felt the heat start to swell in your ears, you had an extremely long tempter. It took a lot for someone to get on it like this, but for whatever reason hearing anyone weigh in on your relationship when they had no idea what you two had been through really ground your gears.

"You don't know my relationship. So please don't act like you do"

"I know enough, and I'm worried about you." He raised his brows at you, his features still dark above the light of your wand.

"Neville you seem nice enough. But you're sticking your nose in places it doesn't belong"

He was standing closer to you now, whispering. "If you need help you know we can help you"

You backed away from him, moving for the door.

"I don't need help."

"We know what he is" Neville said, making the blood run away from your face and to your feet, making your skin go cold.

"And what is that?" You asked facing the door, your hand on the knob.

"A death eater"