Family dinner

It was the day of your parents' get together , you were at your parents house helping your mom prepare the last few food items before everyone arrived. No one knew that you invited Hawks to join you guys, which kind of worried you but you brushed it off.

"Y/n can you get the extra chairs out the garage?" Your mom asked.

"Sure" you replied going to the garage. "How many chairs should I take out?"

"Ten your aunt Chizuru and uncle Fumihito are coming with your cousins so we needed lots"

Your Aunt Chizuru and Uncle Fumihito had eight kids and you never got along with them well and haven't seen them since you where ten and now your twenty one.

"Shohei, Kaito please extend the table." Your mom told your brothers.

"Mom where's dad?" You asked your mom noticing he wasn't no where in sight.

" Oh he had to go pick up your cousin Mariko from the airport"

You scrunched your nose when your mom mentioned her.

You always had a lifelong rival with your younger cousin Mariko. She was referred to as the 'Perfect family member' she was super smart, engaged , and had a daughter, all by the age of twenty. You figured that you becoming a hero would outshine her but it didn't.

"I know you two never were the closest but I heard she matured now" said your mom.

"Yeah I think she matured a little too much" you said under your breath so your mom wouldn't hear you.

Just then the doorbell rang. "I'll get it!" You yelled halfway slipping halfway running to the door. When you opened the door it was non other than the devil queen herself, Mariko L/n.

"Look who it is my favorite cousin Y/n, what have you been doing with your life lately?" Mariko asked without anytime for you to answer she continued "oh yeah I forgot you went to some hero school was it Shiketsu, how is that turning out for you?"

"It's going fine, thank you very much" you said while giving her a fake smile.

Soon a tall man walked up behind her "Oh Y/n this is Lucas my fiancé he's like super rich and handsome" then Mariko whispered something in your ear "You bet not get the idea of stealing him from me" and walked into the house.

'Ugh I hate the fact that she's related to me' you thought while grinding your teeth.

"Nice to see how much my little girl has grown" said your dad while ruffling your hair.

"Nice to see you too dad you travel so much we don't see each other often" you replied while hugging him.

Soon everyone was there. Everyone except for Hawks.

"Y/n what's wrong you look sad?" Asked your brother Shohei.

"It's just that I invited someone and-" you stopped mid sentence when you heard the door bell.

You swung the door open to see Hawks in a turtle neck sweater and jeans. "Since when do you dress this nice?" you asked him teasingly.

"Since the day I found out I would be spending time with my future family in law" Hawks replied.

You welcomed Hawks into the house and started to introduce him to your family. Everyone was super excited to meet him except for Mariko. You could see the jealousy burning in her eyes and you liked it.

You decided to add fuel to the flame and cling on to Hawks arm which made Mariko even more jealous. You really didn't know why she was jealous she had a fiancé and a daughter.

"Y/n I need some more spices would you mind going to the store for me?" Your mom yelled from the kitchen.

"Sure mom I'll go to the store for you" you said losing your grasp from Hawks arm.

"I'll go with her too Aunt m/n" Mariko yelled hopping off her seat on the couch.

••••

"So Y/n where did you and Hawks meet?" Asked Mariko starting out your cars window.

"Well funny story actually Flora-" you started to say but were interrupted.

"Don't 'funny story actually' me Y/n I know you your only doing this to make me jealous" Mariko said giving you a glare "I bet you don't even really like Hawks your only doing this to make everyone think you changed."

"That's not true Mariko."

"What's not true that you don't like Hawks or you're trying to make me jealous!" Mariko yelled.

"Neither are true Mariko!"

After that the rest of the ride was silent other than the sound of the radio.

Mariko decided to stay in the car while you went in to get the spices your mom asked for. But when you came back to the car there was a red stain on your armrest.

"What happened Mariko?"

"Oh it's nothing I just spilled my drink that's all." She said with a smile " Oh and I'm sorry for thinking that you where trying to make me jealous" She said fluttering her eyelashes.

"Oh uh... it's ok Mariko"

Mariko was being oddly nice. 'Should I be worried for her mental health?' You thought as you drove back to your parents house.

••••

When you both got back to the house you handed your mom the spices. But you noticed that Mariko was still acting weird. Like her whole persona had changed. She was being...cheerful which was a first since she's always the palm tree throwing shade.

••••

"Mom is the food almost ready?" You asked stepping into the kitchen.

Your mom smiled taking the rotisserie chicken out the oven. "Yup" she replied cheerfully.

You helped your mom place all the food across the table.