Changes

Chapter Eighty-Nine - Changes

It was the middle of the night, and Blaine's phone wouldn't stop going off. He moaned the first time it rung, insisting he would ignore it and attempted to carry on sleeping, snuggling up to me in the process. After the fifth time I reached over him and handed him the phone.

Reluctantly, he picked up, his voice still sleepy. This very quickly changed, "Wait, what?" I could almost hear his heart skip a bit, and I knew the news wasn't good. I reached for his hand, squeezing it in support.

He hung up shortly after, looking down at the sheets with tears in his eyes. I reached my arm over his shoulder, hugging into him in support. My lips traced over his cheek, whispering, "Baby, is everything okay?"

"Dalton Academy," he sniffed, "it burned down."

The news took me aback too, more because of how unexpected it was. Not often would an entire building burn down, though Blaine went on to say that there was nothing left. Fortunately, the student dorms in a separate building had remained untouched, and nobody was hurt. Though still, the building had held so much importance, so much significance and so many memories. It was where me and Blaine shared our first kiss, where he had proposed to me, where we met that second, fateful day. Not only that, but the Dalton legacy was historical, even, this wasn't light news.

"I've got to go in, tomorrow, try and figure out what we're going to do about the Warblers," He sniffed, "Seeing the guys, they're going to be so heartbroken."

I hugged him even tighter, pulling him back and leaning him against my chest, stroking his soft curls in my hand as I comforted him. He held onto me tightly, like a small child. "I can come with you, if you'd like, for moral support?"

He looked up at me, the dim bedside table light reflecting in his watered eyes, "Are you sure? What about McKinley?"

"They'll understand, Rachel can manage one more day by herself," I reasoned.

"Thank you," he began to sob into my chest as I held him, trying to hold back my own tears.

I called Rachel the next morning, only to find out she had gone to New York the night before and was about to try and shoot her shot again at NYADA. Though I supposed we had Schue back now, so the New Directions wouldn't be left completely unattended while I supported Blaine.