You Couldn't Be Basic If You Tried

I peeked outside and did not see anyone, but then I saw the escalade driving toward me. It had stopped raining and the sun was now bright and hot.  I reached up to pull off my hoodie.

Marshall POV: 

Oh shit, she took her hoodie off and is now in a tank top showing more skin.  I didn't realize her arms are all tatted up, that's so sexy. Not too many tats, just enough to be unique and badass. I can't wait to talk to her about shoes. I've never met a female before who knows so much about the sneaker game, plus, she's sober, it would be perfect! I could simply gain a new friend who isn't bad to look at the very least. I can imagine she's going through a lot right now.

I drove right up to her, "Hop in gorgeous."

She smiled at me and got in the car, "Hey Marshall."

What a cute smile.  It didn't reach her eyes though.

"I was just gonna get fast food and we can sit and talk." I told her.

"I'm fine with whatever. I don't eat much." 

"Why don't you eat much?" 

"Well, I'm going through this weird thing right now" Lilly hesitated and then asked quietly, "Do you know about me? I mean, you know about Damian, right?"

"Yeah, I know it is you who was attacked." I answered awkwardly.

There were a few seconds of silence...

"Anyway, I've been going through a really tough time and I haven't had an appetite. I make my favorite foods, but I'm so nervous most of the time I just can't eat." 

There was another awkward pause...

Lilly gave a half-smile, "You won't believe this, but this morning during my run, I listened to the entire Marshall Mathers LP."

"It was raining this morning. You jogged to the Marshall Mathers LP in the rain? That's depressing." 

"Yeah, it's dark. It was great though." 

I felt like I should lighten the mood, "So, where did you get the Dunks?" I asked nodding toward her shoes.

"I have a source.  I'm at the point in my shoe hustle that I'm confident in saying, any shoe you want, I got the hookup. You should see my collection, I have over two hundred pairs of shoes!"

We reached Taco Bell, ordered our food and I parked the car as we began eating.

"That's hot. I'd love to see that sometime." I said, referring to her shoes.

Silence...

"Where do you stay when you're out here? You got a house in LA?" 

"I'm just staying in a suite that Paul rented for the next month to prepare for the tour."

"That's cool." 

"It's really not. I don't party, I don't go out. Most of the time I just chill and watch TV and order takeout." I admitted then changed the subject. "You don't have a man or anything?"

Lilly told me about her past a bit. 

 "I'm divorced. I was married for ten years only for him to run off with some model chick while I was pregnant with our third child. And when I say model, she had this perfect anorexic stomach and perky set of fake tits. I just felt so basic." Lilly looked me in the eye. "I had the strength to leave him though."

At this point, I was listening intently.

Lilly continued, "When I got divorced, I had a newborn, a 3-year-old, and an 8-year-old and I was lucky enough to rent this little cabin in the woods." The most beautiful smile took over Lilly's face. "I raised my kids there by myself for seven years, just me and my babies. We had a fireplace and I'd read to them and we'd bake cookies and go out and play in the snow. It was the most beautiful time of my life."